flat roof leak help pls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a leak on a flat roff, which is the bathroom extension. After cosiderable rain fall the water will trickle through the ceiling rose underneath for anything up to 6 hours, well after the rain has stopped. I've brushed back the stones on the roof and cannot find any holes/cracks/bubbling. The flashing joints seem pretty sound. Any ideas to locate the leak please?

Sponsored Links
Ahhh! It's never where you think !!
The water leaks can start one end and run along the bottom of the ceiling joists to the lowest point and decided to start dripping there !

First have a look at the flashing area against the wall if you have one or under the roof tiles (I have done one where the roof tile has a hairline crack and the rain found it way onto the the roofing felt which run down to the bottom and straight under the flat roof),failing that remove all the chipping stones and inspect thoroughly.

what about (this is only a suggestion) put a tarpaulin (or other large plastic sheet) on the roof, put bricks on it and wait till it rains to see if any gets in, least it will show if its roof or joint by flashing

Reminds me of a place I worked at years ago (and now, for my sins I am back at !), we had a leaking flat roof, roofers said they couldnt find the leak in good weather and wouldn't go up when it peed down as they would get wet !!

Sponsored Links
No need to wait for it to rain. Use a hose to test if water can get behind the flashings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back