Flat roof lighting dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you help?
I am building a flat roof single storey extension with roof garden on top.
The flat roof will be clad in roofing felt covered in concrete tiles. The roof garden in contained by metal railings. My problem is that I need to light the area. I don't want to drill through the new flat roof because I'm worried about leaks. Is there some way to run the cables on the flat roof? Maybe under the concrete tiles?
Many thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
One way to get cables and pipes up through a flat roof is to use a flue flashing fitting to seal a duct into the roof. Get one with a cone that is cut on site to fit the pipe and it is possible to seal a 40mm pipe through the roof.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/flatseal-fitting-instructions.html being just one of many.

Extractor fan vents and soil vent pipe flashings are other options.

Provided the duct does an upside down U bend above the roof so the end is pointing downward this method ensure ( 99.9 % ) that there will be no leaks.

I am building a flat roof single storey extension with roof garden on top.
You can't possibly be doing that without Building Regulations approval, so when you applied for that what did you say would be the way you would ensure that the electrical work would comply with Part P?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies.

I had thought to run the lights from the Main building but it would seem the only option would be some sort of flood light. I really wanted some sort of secondary lighting to create a subtle mood. The plans and build that have been passed by the building inspector at every stage make provision for cables to be passed through the void of the "cold" roof and emerge from the facia to lights on brackets fixed to blocks of wood behind the facia. I don't think it looks particularly pleasing. I was looking for some way to fix some discreet LEDs' to the railings. I didn't really want to pass the wires through the facia and then surface to the railings.

I hope that is clearer.

Kind regards

Chris

I had thought to run the lights from the Main building but it would seem the only option would be some sort of flood light.
Surely on the wall of the house where the extension adjoins you could have any sort of lantern-type lights?

The plans and build that have been passed by the building inspector at every stage
The reason I asked what I did was that if you had said, or had tacitly accepted, that you'd be using an electrician then he's the one you should be asking about all this, not us, as he's the one who you'll be wanting a certificate from.

make provision for cables to be passed through the void of the "cold" roof and emerge from the facia to lights on brackets fixed to blocks of wood behind the facia. I don't think it looks particularly pleasing.
Sounds perfectly OK for lights on the fascia of the extension to light up a ground level space.

But not much cop for running up to the roof garden.

I was looking for some way to fix some discreet LEDs' to the railings. I didn't really want to pass the wires through the facia and then surface to the railings.
Don't blame you.

What about where the handrail meets the house? Could you have a cable coming out there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back