Light Fixtures within Insulated Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am currently renovating a master bedroom which is part of an extension with a flat roof. I have had to take the ceiling down so some structural work could be completed and am taking the opportunity to insulate with celotex boards with add a vapour barrier.

My question relates to the installation of the exiting light socket/cabling within the roof space. I am aiming to tack the light cabling to the joists within the 50-70mm ventilation gap within the roof space, but am unsure how to proceed from there. Do I need to clear the insulation/vapour barrier either side to the cable where it penetrates the ceiling or can I just cut a whole in both and feed it through. I am not planning to use recessed lights (as from what I read they are not a good idea in flat roofs); I want to install a track light.

Sponsored Links
If the cable just needs to pass vertically through 70mm of insulation and you use 1.5mm t&e on a 6A mcb it will be fine (no need to clear insulation away).

Thanks skenk, the insulation debth is likely to be 140 mm, would this cause any issues i.e would the cable be derated etc?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back