downlights installation in a flat roof (part of extension)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a quick question regarding the installation of downlights in my kitchen which forms part of an extension which has a flat roof.

there is no way to reach the wiring from above without ripping out the roof...and from below..well not sure how i would tackle i to be honest...

would i just drill \ cut the 65mm holes and then thread the wires through using a flexi stick or would i need to take the whole roof down...which would be a pain. I have a quote from an electrician but i am not sure if he knows its a flat roof...

has quoted £30 per light for ground floor and £25 per light first floor...reasonable?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Joists, do you know where they are and which way they run?

Depending on flat roof size, you may find that the joists have noggins across them making the work difficult regarding running cable between fittings.

You have already admitted that the work could be a bit beyond your abilities and the rate for the sparks seems ok, it might be best to pass the work over and leave the headaches for the professional.

I'm not clear on the reason behind the need for lights on the 1st floor, but with loft access to the 1st floor ceiling, the work will be easier hence why the guy has quoted a lower price.

The g/f lights might require some ceiling chases to get the cable in, I hope it's a vanilla plaster finish rather than artex which allows for reasonably easy patching up.

Practically speaking, I think your chances of being able to do this without some major disruption are pretty much nil. No matter what lights you use, they will still need an airspace around them to avoid overheating - chances are that won't be available between the plasterboard and the roof board. I would forget the downlighters and try a simpler solution to your lighting needs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back