Flat roof puddles...should I worry?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked at several forums here to find out if puddles on my flat roof are anything to worry about, without conclusion.

What I want to know is, if you have a puddle on a flat roof, is it detrimental to the roof in any way? Does it shorten the life of the flat roof?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
New roof, old roof, felt, edpm, got some photos etc? Come on throw us a bone!

Old roof, 18 years old I think. Think it is felt. Sorry cant post a picture. Difficult.

My question is will the puddles eventually damage the felt and cause a failure of the felt?

Probably not. How long has it been puddling? At 18 years it has done well ........

Probably should consider saving up for its replacement in the next couple of years though.

Sponsored Links
Probably not. How long has it been puddling? At 18 years it has done well ........

Probably should consider saving up for its replacement in the next couple of years though.

Ah yes, but methinks, when the new felt is installed, it will puddle in the same way. My question is, if there were to be a puddle, will that reduce the life of the new covering? Is the felt able to withstand a small amount of puddling?

It has been puddling since installation.

Well you've answered your own question, your roof has lasted at least 18 years seemingly without issue.

But when it comes to replacement time then some firrings and and a new deck to provide some extra fall can be fitted to avoid this on the next one.

Well you've answered your own question, your roof has lasted at least 18 years seemingly without issue.

But when it comes to replacement time then some firrings and and a new deck to provide some extra fall can be fitted to avoid this on the next one.

Thank you for your answers. I am inclined to leave the deck etc undisturbed if at all possible. I have got a quote from a company to supply and fit the membrane with a 25 year insurance backed warranty.

However, in the quote, it says "We accept no responsibility for any standing water once waterproofing is installed as no fall in the roof construction will change."

The simple answer is ... roofs should not pond. If you are renewing the cover, you should sort out the ponding. If you don't, you take your chance.

I doubt any warranty will be supplied or even valid if the deck is not satisfactory ie it ponds.

The simple answer is ... roofs should not pond. If you are renewing the cover, you should sort out the ponding. If you don't, you take your chance.

I doubt any warranty will be supplied or even valid if the deck is not satisfactory ie it ponds.

Thank you.

Provided the roof is water proof there is no problem with water on the roof. In fact the opposite can be true

wet roofs.jpg

( from "All about Self Build" by Robert Matthews Blackberry Books )

Our Segal house had a 12 foot by 12 foot flat roof which was kept flooded and after 15 years with no maintenance it was still in very good condition. It was removed only when we extended the house. The only irritation was having to top up the roof in hot weather when there was norain.

Provided the roof is water proof there is no problem with water on the roof. In fact the opposite can be true

View attachment 82511
( from "All about Self Build" by Robert Matthews Blackberry Books )

Our Segal house had a 12 foot by 12 foot flat roof which was kept flooded and after 15 years with no maintenance it was still in very good condition. It was removed only when we extended the house. The only irritation was having to top up the roof in hot weather when there was norain.

Thank you. I cant implement this method in this existing roof but it certainly is a very interesting concept.
I think I will stop worrying about the puddles for now and when the covering is replaced, I will most likely have them investigated and resolved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back