Flat Roof Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon,

We have a flat roof with felt covering on our garage and extension, the garage roof is a much smaller area and is slightly shorter in height then the extension. The garage roof is leaking, we have spotted watermarks on the ceiling of the garage.

I have a couple of questions that you may be able to answer for me, thanks in advance.

1.) How exactly is a flat roof constructive? - I take it that the roof is made up of joists with decking over the top of the joists and the roof covering over that. Would that be correct?

2.) The flat roof on the extension does not seem to be leaking, as these two roofs are on separate levels would it be possible to install a new EPDM rubber roof on the garage with out disturbing in the felt roof on the main extension. I can supply pictures if required.
3.) Also could somebody please comment on DIY roofs that are sold by http://www.diy-flat-roof.com/. How easy would these roofs be to install

As this looks like the route we may take.
Kind regards
Ian

Sponsored Links
i'm an experienced and fairly competent builder, but will always pay a pro to felt my flatties. good luck. ;)

Hmm - anybody else didn't really anwser my question ?

Ta Very Much

Ian

ise438 said:
1.) How exactly is a flat roof constructive? - I take it that the roof is made up of joists with decking over the top of the joists and the roof covering over that. Would that be correct?
Depends how it was done at the time, some flat roof still have chipboards which is no good for flat roof (weetabix problem when leaking)
Should be exterior plywood and should counter batten for cross air flow to prevent condensation inwhich you may have and not a leaking roof, not easy to find
2.) The flat roof on the extension does not seem to be leaking, as these two roofs are on separate levels would it be possible to install a new EPDM rubber roof on the garage with out disturbing in the felt roof on the main extension.
Won't be easy to do, you cannot beat a low pitch tiles roof ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back