Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20230321_100742_076.jpgIMG_20230321_100902_735.jpgIMG_20230321_100754_806.jpg
neighbour has blokes replacing his flat garage roof with pitched roof. Single brick walls with a utility room at the back ..
Pictures aren't the clearest so apologies for that.

The old roof covering is still in place. the covering is done, as are some of the joists , especially at the very front and back.

At the front of the garage , inline with a front porch that's been added at some point, there's a canopy which was supported by a metal pole,which they e removed and put props in, but they're building the pitched roof around onto the front over this canopy and possibly the porch.

They've fixed 6 X 1 ? timber onto the side of the house and the rafters are running off this , but aren't notched or sitting " on " it, just butted up flush and screwed or nailed.
Because the garage roof sloped front to back where there was guttering , they've had to level up and used timber nailed into the existing roof boards.

He told us he was going to do this , but the height of the roof is higher than we expected , however I'm less bothered about that and more concerned that they're not doing it correctly .
Surely they can't expect the single brick walls to take the weight of the pitched roof when they're already supporting the existing roof?
I know that , like our garage, there isn't even a supporting double brick pillar on the external wall.

Is that 6 X 1 screwed into the house wall enough to support all of that weight, and should they not be joining the rafters to it by sitting them on it and notching out or using brackets of some sort?

The external long wall is 1500 max from our garage wall and only about 750 mm from the boundary wall.
Their garage is higher than ours ( you can see the guttering on the back wall of our utility/ garage in the last photo) by about a metres, so there's a retaining wall and railings on the boundary between the paths that run up between the houses .

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Surely they can't expect the single brick walls to take the weight of the pitched roof when they're already supporting the existing roof?
the load wont be a problem

mind you it looks like the rafters wont be strapped to the brickwork -thats not so good

the wall plate and skew nailing rafters to it -is a bit pizz poor really, I wouldnt do that

Im more wondering how they intend weathering around the window

the load wont be a problem

mind you it looks like the rafters wont be strapped to the brickwork -thats not so good

the wall plate and skew nailing rafters to it -is a bit pizz poor really, I wouldnt do that

Im more wondering how they intend weathering around the window
Thank you
The Home owner is changing that window to a flush one apparently.
I don't care about his weathering (and he won't care either) I just don't want any walls or the roof to come down onto any of my family or our property.

yes , skew nailing at both ends of the rafters. What's the sheer going to be like on those nails ?

How would they "strap" to the brickwork ? Are the straps some sort of metal bracket ?

skew nailing at both ends of the rafters. What's the sheer going to be like on those nails ?
there isnt really much shear load

the load on each rafter will try and make the rafter slide down the wall plate and pushing the wall out -which it cant really as its restrained by existing roof joists

personally the timber sections they have use and the lack of a birds mouth on the rafter where it meets the sole plate on the single wall, rather indicates people who are not skilled tradesmen -no carpenter would do that

How would they "strap" to the brickwork ? Are the straps some sort of metal bracket ?
restraint straps are like this

they screw to the rafters and run down the internal wall -on a house they end up hidden behind the plaster.

to be honest in the context of that tiny roof, its not much of a deal, especially given how carp the rest is

in terms of your concerns: since they are leaving the existing joists in place, the wall cant really go anywhere, theres no risk of collapse, but I have a feeling the finished job is going to look garbage and will leak.

I bet your neighbour got them from an online site like checkatrade, it has the hallmark

Sponsored Links
there isnt really much shear load

the load on each rafter will try and make the rafter slide down the wall plate and pushing the wall out -which it cant really as its restrained by existing roof joists

personally the timber sections they have use and the lack of a birds mouth on the rafter where it meets the sole plate on the single wall, rather indicates people who are not skilled tradesmen -no carpenter would do that

restraint straps are like this

they screw to the rafters and run down the internal wall -on a house they end up hidden behind the plaster.

to be honest in the context of that tiny roof, its not much of a deal, especially given how carp the rest is

in terms of your concerns: since they are leaving the existing joists in place, the wall cant really go anywhere, theres no risk of collapse, but I have a feeling the finished job is going to look garbage and will leak.

I bet your neighbour got them from an online site like checkatrade, it has the hallmark
Thank you.
I understand.
He spoke to a builder who was working in our area .
That was only 2 weeks ago and "workman" turned up on end of last week.
The builder comes every morning and stands on the drive and chats for a bit
The 2 blokes doing the work could be described as zoo escapees . One if them says he's a joiner, but I reckon he's as much a joiner as I am.
I can see several places at the single brick wall end where the skew nails are protruding from the rafter .

We will see.
The neighbour has already built a wood store about a foot from the boundary which sticks up about a metre above the fence. Apparently his wife wanted the patio back and thought the woodstore was ugly and didn't want to be able to see it from their dining room window
Now he's taking about putting a pitched roof on the woodstore .
He seems to forget that if he builds something on his side that's 2.4 m high, because their ground level at the back is a metre higher than ours, it towers over our garden, (which is very small and wedge shaped) which has another property's terraced garden on one of the other boundaries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back