flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elderly parents have just had a flat roof repaied due to storm damage. I was at their property the other day and to be honest the roof looks terrible. Previously it was done with hot bicuhmen, now the roof is a bright white colour and the edges of the felt are just bent over and nailed to the facia boards where as previously there were hemmed and battoned down.

Can anyone shd any light on what the white stuff is and why we can see the nails in the facia as we could not previously. The whole job just looks shoddy to me.

Sponsored Links
The white stuff could be a solar reflective paint. But the edge fixing does seem very suspect

A picture would be nice

I rang the company and complained, they went on about safety at height and not being allowed to use bitcumen any more, I thought it was a lie.

The white stuff apparently is solar reflective paint and it very expensive they told me. I still would have thought it should have been tarred down tho first not just painted over. It has the texture of the silicone sealant you edge baths with.

The company who did the roof came back and said he forgot to do the edges. So he has now melted another coat of felt onto the top of where the nails were. It looks nothing like the cross section in the above link (edge detail 2). It is just folded over the side of the roof and nailed direct to the facia with no hem or timber to keep it away. Just been up to look and the 150 min of flat is about 2mm and it is starting to peel up after less than 24 hours!

I am still not 100% happy but i cant take photos now as the nails are covered up. It was an insurance job so I suppose its been paid. I have taken some photos for referance but dont know how to post them.

Sponsored Links
Get in touch with your insurance company and let them know of your concerns.
Get another company out to evaluate the work already done.
it sounds like a complete botch and wont last a winter.

How to upload a photo.

I rang the company and complained, they went on about safety at height and not being allowed to use bitcumen any more, I thought it was a lie.

I will confirm for you it is a load of bluster.

Well you'll never guess, after the first substantial ammount of rain the new flat roof is leaking! all over my bed!

I suppose my suspicions were confirmed, Just rang insurance company and told them I do not want the same people back as it has taken them 3 goes to do it this badly! 30 years we had a flat roof and this is the first time its ever leaked!

I am sick of this now just had customer services on from the comapany who did the repairs and he got a fly in his ear. Trouble is I dont know where I stand if we ask for another company to re do the flat roof. The insurance company might refuse to pay unless we use their "approved contractor".

I detest incompetant people.

If your flat roof was 30 years old i would expect it to need replacing not repairing, suprised the insurance co. didn't pick that up. Expect you'll have to have a re-roof now, don't think you can put a layer of felt over solar paint (which i don't think is a suitable repair method). Good luck

Fred

The flat roof has been there for 30 years but has been replaced every 10 years as advised by roofing people.

The roof that had just ripped a bit had been on since 2001 so was within its life expectancy. There was only superficial damage to the facia dnthe the aproved company just ripped the whole lot off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back