Flat roof edging (can i remove easily)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mums facia has rotted away and so needs replacing.

It has the flat roof edging glued on the top of it so i am trying to work out how i get this facia off.

Can i just prise the caps off and then get the new facia in place and then silicone the caps back down ?

Photos should help explain

Attachments

• IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    545.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    420.4 KB · Views: 281
Sponsored Links
That looks like aluminium edge trim to me, like this (but a slightly different shape). As can be seen in the diagram, it's nailed/screwed down from the top before the felt is torched on top of it. You could probably prise it up enough to clear the fascia but I don't fancy your chances of getting it back into place afterwards.

Looks as if one strip of felt is flapping in the breeze anyway...only way you'll find out is to give it a try. If it is that ally trim described above then you'll very likely be able to pull the old fascia out from behind it (glue is prob only silicon) without disturbing it too much, which would be favourite

Sponsored Links
My mums facia has rotted away and so needs replacing.

It has the flat roof edging glued on the top of it so i am trying to work out how i get this facia off.

Can i just prise the caps off and then get the new facia in place and then silicone the caps back down ?

Photos should help explain
Silicone doesn't work on bitumen felt.
The solvent in the silicone dissolves bitumen on the felt, it prevents the rubber bonding to the felt.

The trim is usually nailed to the top edge of the roof and the felt then covers the nails.

You could heat the edge of the felt where it meets the trim to soften the bitumen and then use a paint scraper to peel back the felt so as to expose the nails holding the edge trim.

Remove the edge trim and replace facia and drip batten, replace edge trim and stick felt back down again, you could use cold fix bitumen to stick the felt down again or better still torch on new edge flashings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back