Flat Roofs - doing it the self adhesive way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been doing flat roofs for the last six years using the above system from a nationwide shop "Wi*kes.

The system has proved quite good so far because - I havnt had any call backs to jobs or problems - do any of you use this system?

I haven't dare try the torch on felts yet - but feel I need to one day.

Perhaps practice on my own garage.

So Im just wondering what others think of the system I Use?

Its basically getting a clean deck or a new one, primed, underlay felt and then the top felt?

Craig

Sponsored Links
Never known a pro do it that way, must be messy and expensive, torch on is mainly used by cowboys, and hot bitumen is the only way to do a decent job.

Why dont you use hot bitumen, set up for £500 all the gear, Need a good teacher though, as not many can do it right.

Flat roofers, and probably building in general are loathe to change to anything modern, and will stick with the old ways at all cost. Sometimes the old ways are better, but not always - as things do move on

Torch on is not for cowboys, and has its place for quick convenient jobs. As do self adhesive and rubber systems

When you consider the risks to property and workers from hot flame and boiling bitumen, then alternatives become attractive.

I don't agree that hot bitumen is the only way to do a decent job

If someone come to my house, and wanted to use cold, i would think, why use that, he must be a diyer, and pro dont use cold!!

In a week you could do 5 single garages strip, felt 3 layers, apply grit and get £400 profit on each, I bet there is a diff with cold?

Sponsored Links
Arr yes, but now you said that, if someone came to my house and wanted to use hot, I'd think he was a pro trying to scam me for £400 profit ! :p lol

I agree a cold system is expensive, but thats a commercial decision for the roofer.

Each system has its advantages

My job, i did alone

Not always £400 sometimes more :LOL: sometimes less if the boards have gone, it would be a lot more

I wont be working soon, my boss is retiring, and i dont drive

You earn your money, but there is a lot of cowboys roofing, the bloke i work for as done it 40yrs, so i learnt from him

cheers

I will look into the hot bitumen. and like wise £400 is fair for a garage roof - most of the work done in one day and finished the 2nd day.

But its interesting to see how others aproach the same roofs and want to do it in away that works for them and they are happy with it.

Craig

and we are reluctant to try other ways when we know a certain way works.

Hot bitumen can take a long time to master, you need to be quick, get the bitumen the right temp, and need someone to labour, its a lot for 1 to do alone

To do the drips, and details you need a lot of craft skills, and know the tricks

Its best learnt watching someone, you can make a right mess

send me a pm, i have a very good roofing cd if intrested!! check my profile, and email me

Hot bitty isn't to be recommended to amateurs, it's to dangerous as is torch on felting. I worked for companies which use both, torch on for small jobs and hot bitumen for large areas as it's more economical.
What is the point of going to do a small job a few sq ms maybe and having to set up a boiler and wait for the bitumen to come through, when a roll of 4mm torch on will do the same job in half the time.

I've done 3 layer torch-on on my garage and a mates. It takes a bit of getting used to to melt the tar without burning through the felt but is quite easy after a few strips. Within the scope of a keen DIYer I would say.

I don't understand why people think it's particularly dangerous. If you can have a bonfire in your back garden without burning your house down you can do torch-on.

It is very heavy work though, not for the faint hearted!

Doing a garage is one thing, but a dormer on a 2 story house for example care has to be taken when doing the flashings at the part where the flat roof meets the pitched roof under neath the tiles would be bone dry sometimes you can have old birds nests and things if you hit them with the flame of a torch they can catch fire or worse still smoulder and then catch fire later when you have left, because they are out of sight under the tiles you wouldn.t know anything about it.
As for hot bitty or roll and pour as it is better known you have to melt the tar down in a big boiler until it is liquid it is the decanted in the pouring cans you may have carry this boiling tar up ladders and scaffolds, when you are pouring it out it can blow every where if it's a windy day that is why the insurance costs using heat applied systems is so high

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back