Flatpack thingummies ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A rather pathetic first post I know but necessary. My wife bought a secondhand flatpack pine first bed for our son recently and there are 2 parts missing as they often fall out of the wood when the item is dismantled. They are the usual DIY cylindrical nut type things which fit in holes in flatpack furniture, can be turned with a screwdriver so that the thread is flush with the bolt and into which the bolt is then screwed. I have no idea what they are called and cannot find them at any DIY chain or online site or even any reference to them anywhere. Does anyone know where to get these (assuming you know what I am talking about) ? Do I have to resort to emailing a flatpack furniture building company ?

Sponsored Links
What I'd suggest you do is measure one of the ones you have.

I.E. What is its external diameter & length, what size thread does the bolt have?

They should be available at most flat pack suppliers, perhaps see if you have an Ikea near you, they have a spares section there.

BTW, where in the UK are you?

Sponsored Links
They are also known as cross dowel nuts.

You'll need to know the external diameter, length and the size of the threaded hole. (Edit: sorry, I've just realised that's been said already.)

Just so happens I finished building some flat pack tables 20 mins before my previous post with one of these left over :D

Thanks for the responses. It's useful to finally know what these are called. The plastic ones look similar and the ebay metal ones look virtually identical. I shall check the size and try to order one or the other. I am quite amazed that these are not available at the normal DIY stores however.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back