Help me out with my re-wiring project? (Ethernet)

Hi.
Any reason you're going for cat6 instead of 5e?
What makes you think the CCA cable won't be good enough?
Are you running a 10Gb LAN?

Wanted to go for cat6 for really fast internal transfers and future proofing for when our area is cabled by Virgin Media or upgraded to FTTP by BT.

Even cat5e CCA will do 1Gbit synchonous. You're not likely to exceed that any time soon.

Our router, unsure of the speeds it can do, but it has a 1900Mbps WIRELESS throughput. It's an ASUS RT-AC68U.

No it doesn't, that's just marketing speak.

It has a theoretical maximum half-duplex throughput of 1900Mbps using a 40MHz channel at 2.4GHz (NO CHANCE unless there's nobody within a mile of you) and a 40MHz channel at 5GHz with very specific hardware capable of supporting this. This is before overheads and utterly unattainable even in closed-box test configurations. Once you factor in crap antennas, noise from other APs (which will cost you your 40MHz channels for a start, which instantly cuts you to 1600Mbps because 2.4GHz is so congested, and likely down to 950Mbps if there's 5GHz usage nearby), simple range, attenuation penetrating building materials (5GHz isn't good at that).. the 'inferior' 1Gbps full-duplex(!) wire wins. Every. Single. Time.

Realistic throughput is maybe 400Mbps if you have a laptop with top of the line wifi. Half-duplex.

Sponsored Links
Hi.
Any reason you're going for cat6 instead of 5e?
What makes you think the CCA cable won't be good enough?
Are you running a 10Gb LAN?

Wanted to go for cat6 for really fast internal transfers and future proofing for when our area is cabled by Virgin Media or upgraded to FTTP by BT.

Even cat5e CCA will do 1Gbit synchonous. You're not likely to exceed that any time soon.

Our router, unsure of the speeds it can do, but it has a 1900Mbps WIRELESS throughput. It's an ASUS RT-AC68U.

No it doesn't, that's just marketing speak.

It has a theoretical maximum half-duplex throughput of 1900Mbps using a 40MHz channel at 2.4GHz (NO CHANCE unless there's nobody within a mile of you) and a 40MHz channel at 5GHz with very specific hardware capable of supporting this. This is before overheads and utterly unattainable even in closed-box test configurations. Once you factor in crap antennas, noise from other APs (which will cost you your 40MHz channels for a start, which instantly cuts you to 1600Mbps because 2.4GHz is so congested, and likely down to 950Mbps if there's 5GHz usage nearby), simple range, attenuation penetrating building materials (5GHz isn't good at that).. the 'inferior' 1Gbps full-duplex(!) wire wins. Every. Single. Time.

Realistic throughput is maybe 400Mbps if you have a laptop with top of the line wifi. Half-duplex.

Yeah, sorry, I just wrote what it's marketed as. Not a clue what the actual ethernet speed capabilities of it are, though.

I think maybe your initial thoughts of wiring an entire house were a bit beyond what you could achieve at your level. Like I said it's very disruptive to rewire a house.

Focus on a specific goal of doing a single connection. Your going to need more than a drill on block walls specifically planning, attention to detail and a vac to clean up.

Don't give up, just rework your initial thought experiment.

Graeme
Yeah, I'm going to talk to an electrician in 3 weeks or so time, and see how he advises that I run this.

Taken a step in the right direction. I bought some scrap plasterboard and was able to neatly put the backbox in it and put the front plate on! :)
I also successfully made a bunch of patch cables.

Just waiting for the rooms to be re-plastered and the electrician to come back. Then I'll assess the situation! :)

Sponsored Links
Okay, I've seeked some advice, and next weekend we're going to be going through the plasterboard division wall between the lounge and hallway, up to the airing cupboard, and then under the floorboards and into the walls upstairs, where the sockets will be. Very excited!

My room has been plasterboard-ed and skimmed, ready to go once it's dry. This should be relatively easy as far as DIY goes!

Sound like a good plan or..?

Sounds like a plan. Just take your time and don't drill through any water pipes or electrical cables!

Good luck :)

Graeme

Hi,

Got an issue. I've successfully put a port in on my brother's wall (a plasterboarded divison), but I'm having issues doing the same for my (newly plasterboarded) wall. I am concerned so do not want to go any further as to damage the new wall too much.

The plasterboard saw went through fine, but then has hit something. It isn't a pipe or the brick or anything, and I'm pretty sure it could be a stud? What now?

W3Jm6Zl.jpg

UPDATE: Advice still required for the above picture, but I've just put a socket (with backbox) in my mum's room, too. (Just on the other side of the wall to where my brother's socket is).

My brother's socket is very nice, though (ignore the pencil lines):

FSRLI0r.jpg

Last edited:
The plasterboard saw went through fine, but then has hit something. It isn't a pipe or the brick or anything, and I'm pretty sure it could be a stud? What now?

Cut the plasterboard out until you can see the stud, then use a large diameter wood bit to drill out the stud.

Use a stanley knife to cut the plasterboard. Is the wall a stud wall or is that plasterboarded dot-and-dab onto an existing wall? Looks like you've hit a dab, you'll need to take that out with an old chisel.

Use a stanley knife to cut the plasterboard. Is the wall a stud wall or is that plasterboarded dot-and-dab onto an existing wall? Looks like you've hit a dab, you'll need to take that out with an old chisel.
Are dabs totally solid, then? Also, what are they made out of?

Sponsored Links
Back