Help appreciated with Ethernet cable / Second router

Thank you FM,
I understand what your saying about a switch but can a second router be used as a switch and a wifi extender ?

Yes! But ensure the second repurposed router is set to have a different IP to the main one, also turn it's DHCP to off. Connect one LAN port of the main router, to a port on the repurposed one.

That means only one of the router's issuing network IP's, and so no clashes.

That will give you three spare ports at the main router, three at your second one, and two wifi access ports. Or add a third, the same, and you three more ports, and a third wifi access port.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you, will the signal strength from the second router be much less than direct from the face plate?

Sorry I meant the RJ45 Ethernet faceplate where the Xbox is currently connected.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, they usually can; you’d have to hard-wire (run Ethernet to) them and change settings on them to have that happen.

What brand / model do you have as spares

Well, I got one of these things
s-l1600 (31).jpg

Plugged it in yesterday. Didn't see any improvement yesterday, upstairs speed check was about 23 MB yesterday.

The tablet ran flat overnight. After restarting I ran speed check and it was 120 which I thought satisfactory.

Tried again just now and it is down to 42.

Adequate but I don't know why it's dropped.

Well, I got one of these things
View attachment 327925

Plugged it in yesterday. Didn't see any improvement yesterday, upstairs speed check was about 23 MB yesterday.

The tablet ran flat overnight. After restarting I ran speed check and it was 120 which I thought satisfactory.

Tried again just now and it is down to 42.

Adequate but I don't know why it's dropped.

Is that a ubiquiti repeater ?

It needs to be showing blue to be operational

What is the setup? I have no instructions.

Sponsored Links
Back