Help appreciated with Ethernet cable / Second router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm running an external Ethernet cable half way round my son's house to improve the office internet speed.
Testing it with a length of internal cable running through the house improved matters considerably.
When it arrives in the office what's the best thing to connect the cable to ?
I'm working on the assumption it's better to connect the external cable once, rather than it flitting from lap top to XBox etc.
When the cable comes through the wall it won't have the end attached.
I have a RJ45 end and a crimping tool ready if required.
I have a new router that could be used as a slave - if it's a good idea?
Or what about an Ethernet wall plate with multiple outlets.

Thank you
Ray

Sponsored Links
I'm working on the assumption it's better to connect the external cable once, rather than it flitting from lap top to XBox etc.
Ethernet cables aren't simply daisy chained from one device to the next.
When it arrives in the office what's the best thing to connect the cable to ?
The best way to terminate the cable neatly, would be to attach it to a single RJ45 faceplate.
I have a new router that could be used as a slave - if it's a good idea?
Or what about an Ethernet wall plate with multiple outlets.
Just as an ethernet cable can't be daisy chained, one cable can not be connected to multiple outlets (well, it can theoretically, but thats another story!).
What you need is a network switch - something like...

Ethernet cables aren't simply daisy chained from one device to the next.

The best way to terminate the cable neatly, would be to attach it to a single RJ45 faceplate.

Just as an ethernet cable can't be daisy chained, one cable can not be connected to multiple outlets (well, it can theoretically, but thats another story!).
What you need is a network switch - something like...

Is that the same as a hub?

Mine has 4x 1Gbps ethernet sockets

Sponsored Links
Is that the same as a hub?

Mine has 4x 1Gbps ethernet sockets
Hubs and switches have specific definitions in IT, but as is often the case, the names are used interchangeably.
A device that can distribute gigabit ethernet will inevitably be a switch (or a switch integrated with a router/modem).

Can I connect an additional one to an "out" socket of my original, to have another upstairs?

And extra wifi?

Can I connect an additional one to an "out" socket of my original, to have another upstairs?
Yes, but just be aware that you're not increasing the bandwidth - your connected devices will now be sharing the bandwidth of the original port.

I wrote ... I'm working on the assumption it's better to connect the external cable once, rather than it flitting from lap top to XBox etc.

RG wrote ... Ethernet cables aren't simply daisy chained from one device to the next.

At first I had imagined getting the cable through the wall and fixing the RJ45 end on so it could be plugged directly into a lap top or Xbox ... at the same time realising the end wouldn't last long if it kept getting moved.

You have solved my dilemma by suggesting the single RJ45 faceplate. (SFix Code 10030) ?

Is a double faceplate halving the signal to each? (SF Code 842PF) ?

Thank you again for your help

You have solved my dilemma by suggesting the single RJ45 faceplate. (SFix Code 10030) ?
That would be fine if you have used a CAT5E cable. If you've used CAT6 cable, get a CAT6 faceplate, etc.

Is a double faceplate halving the signal to each? (SF Code 842PF) ?
A double faceplate will not give you two functioning network ports, from one cable.
As said earlier, you can have a single outlet and connect it to a network switch. That will give you multiple functioning outlets.

Why not fit the cable to a faceplate then use the RJ45 internal connecting cables to whatever devices you are using? They are a lot more flexible than an external ethernet cable and can be discarded and replaced if they get damaged.

Could I just double check my understanding of the wiring before installing the cable and single faceplate this weekend.

After installation - In the absence of a proper RJ45 tester is it worth checking the continuity with a long piece of wire, or just connecting a laptop and do a speed check - on the assumption it won't do any harm even if there was a bad connection?

Thanks
Ray

Attachments

• IMG_2851.PNG
    IMG_2851.PNG
    3.8 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2854.JPG
    IMG_2854.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2856.JPG
    IMG_2856.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 55
Could I just double check my understanding of the wiring before installing the cable and single faceplate this weekend.
Yep, your connections look correct for T568B
just connecting a laptop and do a speed check - on the assumption it won't do any harm even if there was a bad connection?
Yep, just plug in the laptop. :)

Sponsored Links
Back