Flex for hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New hob has arrived but doesn't have the flex for the hob to go to the switch. The electrician, when he rewired the house, left a 6mm radial (32mcb) for the arrival of the hob. This was a short while ago and he's away for the moment, but has asked me to get the flex.
THe connector block under the ceramic hob states 2.5. This is not normal 2.5 t&e is it. I'm assuming this is meaning flex. However, my question is, can you get 32 amp rated flex? I've searched all over and the most I can get is 25amp. Surely the flex has to have a higher rating than the mcb?

Sponsored Links
no need for flex, twin and earth cable will do because not subject to vibration like say a washing machine but if it is an electric hob i would be concerned that 2.5 twin and earth has at best a current carrying of 27A and if installed over a long didstance or within insulation this drops. does the hob state a KW rating

check the rating of the hob. should be a figure in watts.
usually around 6000w for a hob.
you should connect a 6mm feed from your cooker switch
down to a cooker connection unit.
then run 4mm heat resistant flex from that to your hob

Sponsored Links
I'm at work at the moment, but 6000 rings a bell. I'm sure I remember him mentioning that. I'll double check that tonight. Thanks.

As a matter of curiosity - I'd thought that the 4mm would compromise things. If the sparky sees fit to install a 6mm radial and a 32amp mcb then wouldn't the 4mm flex melt before the mcb did it's job? Or is 4mm capable of taking 32amps? Did he put 6mm in just for the bigger distance?

yea the flex can handle more load than t&e.
not absolutely sure but i think its rated to 33A

Thanks very much for your help. One more question, is 4mm flex easy enough to get hold of at an electrical supplies? It doesn't show up much online, apart from 100metres of it on Ebay!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back