Flex inside wall cavity - is this ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another one of those 5 minute jobs that turns into a nightmare.......

When we bought this house, the previous owner was emigrating so could not take all of her appliances, we said to leave what she didn't want and we would deal with it. She left lots off good stuff, dishwasher, fridge freezer, tumble dryer etc, and for some reason which at the time was unknown, a law mower with the flex cut off. In the living room we have 2 wall lights (one single and one double) and a ceiling light. I had the simple task today of swapping the positions of the two wall lights. Well I found the mower flex! It had been used for the wall lights. And even though it was 3 core, the lights were not earthed.

I took off the ceiling light (which was also not earthed) and found the earth for the lighting circuit, tested to confirm it did actually go to earth and have now earthed all lights, and put things back where the wife wanted them. But I am not sure about the use of flex cable. Is this ok or should I pull it out and replace with T&E?

Sponsored Links
Flex is actually allowed to be used now as part of the fixed installation, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Run in the cavity is not really allowed, however there are hundreds and thousands of houses with cables installed in that way, years ago it was the done thing! I guess the cable was probably 1.0mm so should be ok. How did you test the effectiveness of the earth?

It's technically non-compliant on size, assuming the cable is 0.75mm², and only feeds the one wall light per length?

What device is protecting the circuit? MCB? Fuse? What rating?

It can only be demonstrated through testing that, other than the size non-compliance, that the circuit is sound. That goes for pretty much any DIY install or circuit extension.

I can't be 100% certain of the cable size, but definitely bigger than 0.75mm.

The circuit is protected by 6A MCB. On this circuit are the 3 living room lights, 8 f'kin horrible 50w down lights in the dining room, 2 pendants in the kitchen and a single pendant In the conservatory.

I tested the earth for continuity from each point back to the earth at the ceiling light and then from there back to the earth at the CU using a multimeter.

Sponsored Links
I can't be 100% certain of the cable size, but definitely bigger than 0.75mm.

Its the cross sectional area of the copper conductor(s), Not easy to measure with multi-core flex.

But lawn mower cable is generally 1mm² so you'll be fine with what you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back