Wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have some wall lights already installed, but want to change them.

We have found some new lights that we want but they have a flex and a plug on them. Are these suitable to have the tails cut off and be wired directly in to the existing wiring and be controlled via light switch?

I understand we will probably invalidate any warranty.

Thanks

CP

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly yes.

However are these lights actually for wall mounting? Seems odd that they would have a plug on them.

However are these lights actually for wall mounting? Seems odd that they would have a plug on them.

Not if they are from IKEA.

If the lights can be wall mounted without obscuring or damaging the flex, then go for it.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with the company, BAS. Wall lights with flex and a plug are common in Europe. The reason being some blocks of flats are built using precasted reinforced concrete panels. It is difficult to drill holes in such panels in order to fix the lights to the wall and nearly impossible to cut channels for cables with DIY tools. Normally there are embedded conduits in the panels to run cables but if at later stage the occupants want to put a wall light somewhere else, their only option is to plug it to a socket.

No - their other option is to do without wall lights rather than have such an abomination.

Not all the people are house-proud homeowners. There are different circumstances - students, young families, etc. Also it is possible to fix such a light to the furniture rather than to the wall, useful for small or multifunctional spaces.

About the buildings - in fact I've seen one (the precast concrete panels type) without conduits for the cables. It was a substandard cheap student accommodation, maybe they got the panels half price, I don't know, but the only lighting available there were on the walls plugged in the sockets.

Nothing wrong with the company, BAS. Wall lights with flex and a plug are common in Europe. The reason being some blocks of flats are built using precasted reinforced concrete panels. It is difficult to drill holes in such panels in order to fix the lights to the wall and nearly impossible to cut channels for cables with DIY tools. Normally there are embedded conduits in the panels to run cables but if at later stage the occupants want to put a wall light somewhere else, their only option is to plug it to a socket.

I don't expect they have ring circuits either. Gotta feel sorry for them. !

:LOL: The ring main cables go behind the skirting boards which are designed to accommodate them. The sockets are designed accordingly.

OP, sorry for the off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back