Flex Outlet Plate in Zone 3?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm intending to fit an electric element in a towel radiator, and I need to fit a flex outlet plate in Zone 3. The stuff I've read is rather vague as to the 'allowability' of this.

Also, although it is in Zone 3, it is facing a shower door about 1m away. In the circumstances, I wonder if an IP66/67 cable gland on a blanking plate might be better - I'm sure it would be more water resistant. However it's a bit non-standard, and I will have to get all this inspected eventually.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated,
Neal

Sponsored Links
In Z3, a wall-mounted switch is acceptable, so a flex outlet is also. Trust you are using an RCD? Not essential, but a good idea nonetheless.

Don't forget the catch-all about fittings being appropriate for their surroundings. Which would mean that if you felt it a reasonable possibility the connection was going to get sprayed, then as the installer it is up to you to install something sprayproof.

Damocles said:
Don't forget the catch-all about fittings being appropriate for their surroundings. Which would mean that if you felt it a reasonable possibility the connection was going to get sprayed, then as the installer it is up to you to install something sprayproof.

That's what's concerning me - it's reasonably near a shower and kids will be kids... Hence the cable gland idea - I've got a couple that I know to be water resistant to 8bar overpressure :D which should do. It's just that I was concerned that in any inspection something non-standard would generate discussion :confused:

securespark said:
Trust you are using an RCD? Not essential, but a good idea nonetheless.

Yup - fused spur off RCD protected ring - er, which I hope is OK :confused: Now I think about it, I've just assumed it is.

Neal

Sponsored Links
Begs the question of showerproofing the other end of this flex where it goes into the towel rail. I think you might get some smirks for using over-rated equipment, but not objections. As this is supposed to be powering a towel rail, will they be showering the towels too?

Damocles said:
Begs the question of showerproofing the other end of this flex where it goes into the towel rail. I think you might get some smirks for using over-rated equipment, but not objections.

Thanks - the other end has a business-like-looking cable gland. I know IP67 is OTT but waste not want not :D

Damocles said:
As this is supposed to be powering a towel rail, will they be showering the towels too?
Don't :( - I really wouldn't put it past them...

Neal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back