Flexebile tap connectors

I think it implied above that heat may warp rubber.....rather than it actually failing?
That was Softus' opinion, not mine. Flexible connectors are widely used, including for shower pump connections. Providing the hot water isn't excessively hot (i.e. max 65°C) they should perform perfectly well.

Sponsored Links
10 l/min would be about 9% slower then 11 l/min. During the extra delivery time....
Softus, you're normally smarter than this! There is no extra delivery time! In the first case 10 l/min running for 10 mins delivers 100 litres @ 53.5°C (my revised figure) whereas 11 l/min running for 10 mins delivers 110 litres @ 50°C. Assuming mains cold water at 15°C then in the former case we only have to add 10 litres of cold water to the bath to get the same result - 110 litres @ 50°C.

chrishutt said:
Softus, you're normally smarter than this!
I certainly agree that one of us is being dumber than normal, but I genuinely don't [yet] know for sure whether it's you or me. ;)

There is no extra delivery time! In the first case 10 l/min running for 10 mins delivers 100 litres @ 53.5°C (my revised figure) whereas 11 l/min running for 10 mins delivers 110 litres @ 50°C.
I appreciate that subtlety, and maybe you think I'd missed it, but I hadn't.

After 1 minute, the higher flow rate will deliver 11 litres and the lower rate will deliver 10 litres.
The water that's slower and hotter will lose more heat in the pipework, but does the fact that it's running more slowly and the fact that it loses some of the heat advantage mean that it loses all of the heat advantage?

You say that it retains some of the advantage. I don't know. I haven't worked it out, and I haven't seen anyone else work it out.

OK, I accept that there is a slightly greater loss from the hot pipework at 53.5°C as opposed to 50°C, but it's hardly significant. The fact that the OP has 22mm hot pipework is of much more concern. He should reduce that down to 15mm where possible.

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
The fact that the OP has 22mm hot pipework is of much more concern. He should reduce that down to 15mm where possible.
I completely agree.

Just a note on pipework losses, even assuming he has as much as 10 metres of uninsulated 22mm copper from combi to hot tap (a poor scenario), his pipework losses would only be 400 W. This is 400/28000 x 100 = 1.4% of boiler output. The difference in temperature differential for the 50°c and 53.5°C temps given before is about 10% (assuming ambient temp of 20°C) so the additional pipework heat loss for the higher flow temp is a mere 0.14% of boiler output, so hardly significant.

I made the mistake of thinking that agreeing with you would have been enough!

I'm not persuaded by the yardstick of measuring energy loss as a proportion of boiler rated output.

For example, the rate of heat less from a naked human body hypothetically beamed into sub-zero temperatures is also small when compared to a boiler output of 28kW, but I wouldn't ever say that it's insignificant.

So, how much more heat energy is lost from the slower running water as it passes through the tap, through the air, and into the bath? BTW, the bath is capable, at least initially, of conducting heat away more quickly than the air around a 22mm pipe, and the surface of the bath water will be losing heat at an even higher rate. To me, that extra 3.5°C is sounding less and less impressive. ;)

Softus,

Thanks for the typing observation. Could have been the wine!!
Anyway watch out or I'll stick the death grip on ya.

Think I appear to have kicked of a large debate!!!!

The 22mm pipe I intend insulate where I can. I will also be putting some slab type sheet insulation on the walls where the bath will be going. I'm reassured by one response that the flexible hoses will be ok and by others that they are not.

Anyway thanks for the comments and help.

PS, Softus, I'm Darth not because I'm an obsessed fan but because my better half reckons I snore like him!!

I think it implied above that heat may warp rubber.....rather than it actually failing?
That was Softus' opinion, not mine. Flexible connectors are widely used, including for shower pump connections. Providing the hot water isn't excessively hot (i.e. max 65°C) they should perform perfectly well.

Thanks for that, its much appreciated...

For me I am running a single flexible pipe to my tarantofill waste filler, so its one flexible hose rather than four 90° bends.....seems a no brainer to me...

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back