Flexible condensate pipe inside house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all again & thanks for previous help.

Briefly......Had my old boiler out and a new Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28 fitted.
Fitted in Airing cupboard upstairs, where old DHW tank was.
All lovely until this winter. I watched the (Gas Safe) people fit the boiler.
The condensate runs vertically downwards inside the house for about 2 feet.
Then changes into (I estimate) 40mm black plastic pipe.
Out through the wall, 18" vertical drop then 6 feet sideways at a good
downward angle then coupled into fallpipe. It has frozen a couple of times.

It is almost impossible to run completely inside the house without floors up etc.
I'm now of course prepared to do this. (Wife insists).I intended to use 21.5mm solvent weld pipe. 3 feet vertical, 90 degrees then under the bedroom floor, (6 feet horizontal)90 degrees, short length, 90 degrees to vertical, down through the hall cupboard / gas meter place then through the external wall terminating a couple of inches above the original drain.

A bit of a job! Then, I saw this......

http://www.plumbase.com/tprod163667/section2616/MCA-FLEXIBLE-CONDENSATE-PIPE-KIT.html

Looking at what is included, 2 of these kits joined together would make this job a hell of a lot more simple as the original joining places were all in very difficult places.

The Question......Is that flexible kit (x2 joined) any good? As I say, straight runs with right angle solvent weld connectors IS possible but very difficult.

Any suggestions / advice most welcome.(Thanks for all previous).

Ian.

Sponsored Links
Would it not be easier just to lag the outside pipework or install a trace heater?

I'd though of doing exactly that.Then I thought I might as well run it inside. Do it as it should have been done from day one.

I know the fitter was fully aware of the freezing problems which is
why he made a good effort but the wall is North facing on top of a carport
and really suffers in winter.

Running it internally would only leave a minute portion outside (About 4") where in extreme temperatures, it would be far easier to nip outside with the
kettle than what I have done this week....Out through landing window onto top of frozen carport......use kettle. wife then had to re-boil it......then I couldn't climb back in without step ladders......the wife had to fetch them......never hear the least of it.

What do you think of the product?
OK or snake oil?

Cheers.

Ian.

Hi Ian

I have never actually used these but as most boilers use the exact same pipe for the condensate as it leaves the trap in the boiler I cant really see any problems as long as you make sure you dont have any water "traps" i.e any high points where the condensate might collect, some boilers do produce a sediment in the condensate which might collect in the corrogated hose but as it goes to a drain Im sure you could flush that with fresh water every now and then

Sponsored Links
I've not seen that product before, it looks good to me. Could solve a few future install problems I would think.

for the difference in price I would stick with your origionall product the manu is advertising it as a condensate pipe so if something goes wrong your home insurance should cover it , they wont with this one as the manu doesnt say it is suitable for condensate

condensate pipework must be run with a constant fall so you can't run it horizontal across your bathroom floor

condensate pipework must be run with a constant fall so you can't run it horizontal across your bathroom floor

Why is that?

It will have a vertical fall of about 3 feet before it goes horizontal for 6 feet then vertical the rest of the way.

What will the problem be with the horizontal part?

I CAN make it have a small fall but only by drilling about 6 joists at differing heights.

Is horizontal definitely out of the question?

Cheers.

Ian.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back