Flexible WC waste pipe through wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been to see a cottage my brother is having some work done in. The bathroom is being modernised, and an en-suite added. For both, the plumbers have made a fecking great hole in the wall (solid, brick inside, stone outside) and put a white corrugated flexible connection through. This joins into an elbow from a tee into the stack - and when finished, the join will be inside the wall as will about 9" or more of the white flexible pipe.

Does this sound right ?

I have to say I'm a tad skeptical of this corrugated pipe myself. It always looks prone to blockage (I've caused a few blockages myself over the years :oops:) and the corrugations must restrict the flow somewhat.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a bodge to me. I would use solid pipe/connections. They'll probably tile over flexi tap connections too.

get someone in to do it properly.

If they can do that,god only knows what else is lurking, I would lose all faith

Sponsored Links
why have they done it like that?
Ease - make big hole couple up flexible pipe, slide bog into position, leave big hole for builder to fix up later. They are corner mounted toilets, though I reckon there's still enough room to get in behind them.
got any photos?
I'll see what I can do.
Sounds like a bodge to me. I would use solid pipe/connections. They'll probably tile over flexi tap connections too.
No flexi connections that I saw - used copper for the shower supplies.
get someone in to do it properly.

If they can do that,god only knows what else is lurking, I would lose all faith
Well it seems to have been done by Jeckyll and Hyde. The pipes for the rads are really neat, with a smooth offset in the pipes so they can some through the floorboard close to the skirting and go neatly into the valves. But then the main plumbing is "untidy" to say the least.

The thermal store got substituted for a different make (bigger for the same money but with less tappings), the plumber refused to connect the heating to the store (I suspect because there's no tappings for it), he's used a F&E tank that seems to be sized as the header tank for an olympic sized bath, and a whole host of other issues. But short of ripping it all out and doing it again (which he doesn't have the time or cash for), my brother is now stuck with it.

Yeah, the moment I saw it, my first thought was how the flippin 'eck is the builder supposed to get a block back in with the pipe in the way :rolleyes:

Other than being "just very bad", does it actually break any regulations ?

The bricking up wouldn't fuss me at all. The flexible connector through the wall does.

Definitely, not even a maybe or open to opinion, discussion, get him to change it.

Was he using this flexible connector as a temporary connection to keep a toilet working until he is ready to connect the soil properly?

Did he keep, take out the blocks in one piece and keep them to re- instate.

I would think He could cut them to re - fit

I assume the blocks were taken out whole, but I can't see how you'd get them back in since some of them are bigger than the available gap now the pipes are all in place.

The house is empty while some major works are going on, so it's not a temporary job.

They would obviously have to be cut, split to fit, the best method for these would probably be In the builders forum

I assume the blocks were taken out whole, but I can't see how you'd get them back in since some of them are bigger than the available gap now the pipes are all in place.

The house is empty while some major works are going on, so it's not a temporary job.
don't usually like slaggin other peoples work but that is diabolical no core bit, big lump hammer :eek: i take it there is another pipe going to the inch n halve waste simon or have they capped at the swept tee permanently?

No, that's the finished pipework. Took me a minute to work out what you were asking, but I see what you mean now. I'd have thought it was obvious - he's allowed access for rodding the pipes :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back