Flexipan connector tear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My toilet started leaking a month ago and plumber came out and found the flexipan connector had split (see first image). He fitted a new McAlpine flexipan connector and a month later it has split again (see second and third image). Plumber is saying he thinks it’s rodent damage but the failure does not have teeth marks. The plastic material has been ruptured due to tensile force. I have a degree in metallurgy so I think I can identify a tensile fracture.

I think plumber is having me on and I want him to provide a real fix. What shall I do?

Attachments

• 3BA02BCC-2E68-4C88-99EB-80DB1A5AD345.jpeg
    3BA02BCC-2E68-4C88-99EB-80DB1A5AD345.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 105
  • E1742828-B742-404E-94D7-E94E1D45CE52.png
    E1742828-B742-404E-94D7-E94E1D45CE52.png
    934.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 899B3E92-D183-45CC-A6FC-6AE7DCD0F847.png
    899B3E92-D183-45CC-A6FC-6AE7DCD0F847.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
100 per cent rodent damage ,sewer rat.
Ask plumber to fit a rodent barrier to the pan connector.

Sponsored Links
as above - coming up the inside of the drain from the sewer.

If you happened to tell me or indicate that the old flexi had been there for awhile then I would changed like for like, however knowing that there are rodents I would look at a solid swan neck connector to fix the problem for good even if it costs more.

Last edited:
Your original issue was a leaking pan connector,which was replaced ,the fact that a rat has eaten away at the replacement is hardly the plumbers responsibility ,of course he is entitled to be paid.

Ratty man has made a visit. Check your manhole for rat droppings on the benching, then put some rat poison there.

Andy

If you happened to tell me or indicate that the old flexi had been there for awhile then I would changed like for like, however knowing that there are rodents I would look at a solid swan neck connector to fix the problem for good even if it costs more.
The old flexi had been there two years only had problems a couple months ago

The fact the original flexi lasted a couple of years, and the new one has gone the same way in a couple of months is another reason for me to agree with the others above, it's a rat issue. Now they know there is an exit there, they'll keep coming back to it, only solution is to block it off to them. Rigid pan connector wont be so translucent, so less light ingress to attract them and will be more difficult (but nowhere near impossible) for them to chew through. I'd also get a Rat Blocker fitted into the drain.

The fact the original flexi lasted a couple of years, and the new one has gone the same way in a couple of months is another reason for me to agree with the others above, it's a rat issue. Now they know there is an exit there, they'll keep coming back to it, only solution is to block it off to them. Rigid pan connector wont be so translucent, so less light ingress to attract them and will be more difficult (but nowhere near impossible) for them to chew through. I'd also get a Rat Blocker fitted into the drain.
Plumber said there isn’t enough room under there to fit rigid pan connector (he said he tried originally but there were pipes in the way) so had to use flexi. I feel like he did a bodge job

Flexible pan connectors are not ideal but they are fit for purpose under normal conditions. You've got a rat problem and you need to take the above advice and get it sorted before you start accusing people of bodging.

Plumber said there isn’t enough room under there to fit rigid pan connector (he said he tried originally but there were pipes in the way) so had to use flexi. I feel like he did a bodge job
Stop trying to blame your plumber for your rat problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back