Flickering Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My Dimmer switch to ceiling lights has worked for 3 years without a problem. I had a party, and the day after the lights now do not come on, or flicker at a dim light regardless of the dimmer setting. Any ideas - could it be a loose wire? Or is it time for a new dimmer switch. I am no electrician, but if Iturn off the power to the room, and replace the plug - presume I can't go wrong?

Thanks
DoggyDimmer

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I do not understand the combination of ceiling lights, plug, dimmer…..:confused:
Can you explain the set up a little better?

Secondly, after the party, did all the lights work, or had one of them blown?
Thirdly, have you changed any of the lamps recently?

Have you put an incompatible lamp in and the dimmer is moaning about it?

I haven't changed any of the light bulbs. I have a switch that has one ordinary switch and a dimmer switch on it. The simple switch and lights are working fine. The dimmer switch should turn on 6 lights sunk into the ceiling. I haven't changed any of the light bulbs. All other lights in the house worked without a problem before and after the party.

Sponsored Links
OK, so the recessed lighting is not working?

Sounds like you may have a switch with a fuse built-in. Could be that one of the lamps has failed and taken out the integral fuse in the switch.

To find it, look on the bottom edge of the switch in the middle: there should be small tray that will lever out with a small flat-bladed screwdriver, giving access to the fuse.
It is a BS646 fuse, probably 1 or 3A.

the lights now do not come on, or flicker at a dim light regardless of the dimmer setting.

This bit I don't quite understand.

Question one is at the dim setting do all bulbs flicker or is there one or more which stay off. If a bulb does not flicker with rest then remove it. Clearly better to do easy tests first one which is remove all bulbs and test in another lamp, if OK then refit them. Trying with less bulbs is also a method. Any one at party a joker? If so on removing bulbs check with mirror if necessary nothing in bulb holder.

Once you have done simple tests report back. Could anyone at the party have swapped bulbs maybe to make room brighter of something?

To flicker on dim I would assume an overload. So that's why I would remove all bulbs and test in another fitting if you can, if not try each bulb on it's own in the fitting I suspect you will find one bulb faulty.

Also what type of bulb, tungsten, CFL, or LED? All helps work out problem.

Thank for all your comments - will try them systematically soon. On a night now so must sleep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back