Flickering light bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
When I switch on my main ceiling lights I notice they flicker for a few seconds, every light in the house does it when I switch them on. What could this be? I have LED bulbs all through the house apart from the kitchen and dining room. Could that make a difference at all?

Sponsored Links
I'll start the ball rolling with poor quality led bulbs or maybe a losse connection at the CU

Blup

I had a problem in wife's bedroom, G9 bulbs, cured by changing bulbs. I opened one of the new bulbs, and the smoothing capacitor was nearly as big as the old bulb, but there was nothing on the spec to show how big the smoothing capacitor is.

Also noted swapping one bulb in a chandelier with 5 bulbs stopped the shimmer on other 4.

As to how to cure, not a clue, seems more to do with good luck than good judgment.

If lamp 1 is switched on already, done its flickering etc, what happens when you switch lamp 2 on. If lamp 1 and lamp 2 flicker at the same time it points vaguely towards a wiring issue. If lamp 1 doesn't flicker and lamp 2 does I'd be thinking cheap LEDs- I have 2 or 3 that intermittently pull the same trick (2 are BC GLS replacements, 1 is a bulkhead in the downstairs loo)

Sponsored Links
I think the label cheap is misleading, the two G9 lamps, G9-comp.jpgthe large one was the cheap lamp, which did not comply with the rules on showing the wattage and lumen output, the small one complied with EU law, but the small one flickered and the large one did not.

Some lamps like the large one shown are very simple inside, and some are rather complex, 20220603_113820_small.jpg shown is inside of a GU10 that failed, no way was I going to try to reverse engineer that. Until the government force manufacturers to publish more about their bulbs, it is just a lottery selecting a good one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back