flippin lost off with bonding.. earthing etc..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK,
As I understand it there's the gas and water, connected to the MET block.
however;

1. do I need to bond the cenrtal heating pipes?

2. The earth on the gas is 10mm2, but IMO it's a long way. about 40 feet of run to/from the MET. what's the max run before using 16mm2?

ta for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
The main equipotential bonding (MEB) only needs to be applied to metallic pipe work of Gas, Water, Oil etc.. or exposed structural steel work
The main bond to the gas should be made after the supply side of the meter ideally within 600mm of entering property or where practical.
You should get a reading between the ends of the bond ideally at MET and pipe that has been bonded of 0.05 ohms or less.
You do not need to MEB the rads, you may need to supplementary bond them but this will depend on a number of issues.
What exactly are you doing?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:main_equipotential_bonding

1. do I need to bond the cenrtal heating pipes?
Yes. If liable to introduce (earth) potential.

2. The earth on the gas is 10mm2, but IMO it's a long way. about 40 feet of run to/from the MET. what's the max run before using 16mm2
The recommended maximum resistance of main bonding is 0.05Ω. That equates to 27metres of 10mm².

I take it the full water service, the gas and the ch plumbing are in copper?

So it you bond the gas and the water mains hopefully it won't surprise you to hear that the bonds would extend to the boiler, ch pipes, hw pipes etc.

If there's plastic pipe the you have no path back, if you don't have rcd protection then supplementary bonding maybe necessary.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back