Flitch beam bolt spacings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the typical spacings of the coach bolts used for flitch beams? The timber is 75x145 with steel measuring 10x140

I was looking at a friend's report which says to use M12 bolts staggered 36mm off center line but further down the report it says must be 48mm from ends and edges of the timber. 4x coach bolt size

If bolts are staggered 48mm from edges then it certainly won't be 36mm from center of the beam.

It also says 2 bolts at each end 50mm from inner edge of support. Each bearing is 100mm but obviously M12 bolts will leave 38mm to edge of timber less than 48mm specified.

The beam spans 3m which breaks up a 6m span for domestic floor.

Which are the most important measurements when it comes to fixing the the bolts because it seems impossible to please every dimension

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any forces that are passed from the steel to the wood will be most at the extreme edges so to lessen the chance of any problems occurring at the outer edges of the wood I would say the 48mm is the more important but in reality it probably makes sod all difference

It also says 2 bolts at each end 50mm from inner edge of support. Each bearing is 100mm but obviously M12 bolts will leave 38mm to edge of timber less than 48mm specified.
50mm from INNER edge leaves 138mm from the end .......
more than ‘at least’ 48mm.

Sponsored Links
For that span and loading, 3 timber joists screwed together to make a built-up beam should have sufficed. Surely one extra length of 75 x 145 would be cheaper and easier than a steel plate and associated drilling and bolting and getting everything lined up?

For that span and loading, 3 timber joists screwed together to make a built-up beam should have sufficed. Surely one extra length of 75 x 145 would be cheaper and easier than a steel plate and associated drilling and bolting and getting everything lined up?
won’t be that much in it now . given timber prices.

Well I took it as the 50mm from inner edge of support meant it was directly in middle of bearing. 100mm bearing would leave 44mm to end of timber

This beam is 3 x 75x145 with 2x 10mm steel plates. It's for 1.5kN floor. Is it seriously over spec?

This beam is 3 x 75x145 with 2x 10mm steel plates. :eek::eek: It's for 1.5kN floor. Is it seriously over spec?
Considering the floor area supported by the beam (9m²?) IMO that beam is considerably over-designed.

The weight of steel you have in the two plates themselves is almost identical to the weight of a 152 x 152 x 23 steel beam, which would be far more than adequate for your span and loading (assuming you are only supporting a floor, and not a floor + partition).

I don't know how the cost of steel beams compares with the cost of plate kg-to-kg, but installing a steel beam on its own would be far less hassle than trying to bolt 5 sections together (which would be far heavier). The bottom flange of the beam would be wide enough to support the joists from each side. Just a bit of cutting and notching to ensure you have a flush ceiling.

Bolts at 1/3 and 2/3 depth, and within 100mm of the wall face
Had the SE specified a beam, which would be perfectly satisfactory, there wouldn't be any problem faffing about with bolts and spacings.
Anyway, as the steel would be taking most of the bending stress, the bolt spacing in the timber would not be that critical.

Had the SE specified a beam, which would be perfectly satisfactory, there wouldn't be any problem faffing about with bolts and spacings.
Anyway, as the steel would be taking most of the bending stress, the bolt spacing in the timber would not be that critical.
Has the OP explained why an SE would go straight to a flitched beam not UB? There most be some reason.

Has the OP explained why an SE would go straight to a flitched beam not UB? There most be some reason.
Not that we're aware of?

Maybe the SE likes designing flitched beams?

Maybe he feels he can charge more for one than just specifying a boring steel I-beam?

Maybe he likes designing beams which are wider than they are deep?

But two 10mm steel plates with three 7" x 3"s...... just...........Wow!

When an engineer is asked to design a beam, a flitched beam is not ever the first type that comes to mind, so there must be a reason it was selected in the first place and that may well be the reason a UB was not suitable.

Obviously we don't see the bigger picture, but from my own experience I've rarely come across situations where a 3m steel beam isn't practical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back