Floating engineered wood floor - membrane required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

I will be laying a floating, engineered wood flooring in my kitchen. I'm happy to use 5 mm fibre boards for the underlay but I suspect that a damp-proof membrane would be a good idea.

Half the kitchen floor is screed, with cellotex, on top of block & beam. The other half is 18 mm chipboard suspended on joists. The threshold between the 2 is completely level.

Is a DPM advisable, and if so, what would you advise? (Plastic sheeting, bitumen-backed building paper etc.)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You only need a DPM if the floors damp. The chipboard certainly isn't, and as there's cellotex with screed on top of it, that shouldn't be either.

Sponsored Links
You only need a DPM if the floors damp. The chipboard certainly isn't, and as there's cellotex with screed on top of it, that shouldn't be either.
Thanks Doggit. I might give the membrane a miss then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back