Floating floor joist above boiler flue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m currently renovating my kitchen in a house I have only lived in for 6 months. I’ve taken the plaster off the wall and have found that for whatever reason, there is a floor joist right above the boiler flue that doesn’t have any support whatsoever.

I’m wondering if the only option I have is to remove the boiler flue, block it up properly and then core drill and put the flue back on.

someone has suggested attaching a joist hanger to it and noggins between the floating joist and the ones either side but it sounds like a bodge to me.

My question is: is my only option taking the flue off, blocking it up, then core drilling? Or can I do something temporary, as that wall will be coming down in a few years for an extension.

Sponsored Links
So to be clear???

The boiler flue goes out through an external wall.

The wall has been core drilled to allow the flue to pass

BUT the core hole has left the floor joist hanging in fresh air??

So to be clear???

The boiler flue goes out through an external wall.

The wall has been core drilled to allow the flue to pass

BUT the core hole has left the floor joist hanging in fresh air??

It looks like it was never core drilled. Just bashed out then bricked up on the outside but essentially left alone on the inside. I have attached a photo. You can see 2 pieces of mild steel being used as a “support”

Attachments

• 8668391C-5EDC-453A-AE7B-379C69F01928.png
    8668391C-5EDC-453A-AE7B-379C69F01928.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
That's fairly shoddy, try and find out who fitted the boiler and make sure you never use them again.
On the plus side it doesn't appear to have moved (more luck than design), if the wall wasn't coming down I'd suggest cutting the wall end off that floating joist, fixing a trimmer between the joists either side & then hanger on the end of the floater to the trimmer- but as it is a couple of tight-fitting noggins between floater and the others will do, and don't put any massive point loads on the floor above (it won't collapse but it might sag a bit)

Sponsored Links
Could you fix a piece of timber the same depth as the joist on the block to the right of the unsupported joust and then put a few 'L' brackets to fix the two together?

Could you fix a piece of timber the same depth as the joist on the block to the right of the unsupported joust and then put a few 'L' brackets to fix the two together?

good shout. I can definitely do this on one side. It’s just the other side then. I am starting to wonder if a joist hanger is the best option then noggins just off the wall

Fit a steel angle bracket on the right of the joist. Fill the hole with pink foam.

That is a shocking mess...

I would get a bit of steel angle made up, cut and welded to support that joist by it's two neighbours. Around 60x60x5 mm angle, cut and welded to form a U bracket, the sides of which would span to the outer faces of the two neighbouring joists, then drilled and bolted through with 10mm bolts, two per joist. The angle can be set flat against both the wall and the timber. Any metalworker should be able to make the bracket up for you - I could knock up from stock here in 30 minutes.

I would just knock out half a block each side of the existing gap and bridge across with something reasonably strong (RC/Wood/Steel).
Pack out with slate shims of you need too.

I'd then backfill the remaining gap to stop draughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back