floating loft floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to built a small platform above existing loft joists. I was planning on fitting joist hangers about a foot apart to make a platform width of about a 1.5m. I can fit the joist hangers to my party wall and parallel to it I have a single skin internal wall span 2 metres. I was thinking about building this internal up by two courses and fitting the hangers level and parallel to it and then laying new joists on their. I would then board this out. If I used 3 by 2 would it be strong enough to take the weight of an average bloke. This is so I can have a boiler fitted in my loft space. The current loft joists are 3 by 2 and do flex slightly which causes plaster cracks. What size joists do you recommend and will screw in joist hangers do the job?

when the boiler is first installed there will be me, a plumber and the boiler on this floor so if you could advise i'd be grateful ;)

Sponsored Links
I'd go 4" x 2" at 400mm centres which will span 2m. Well fixed joist hangers will do fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back