advice needed on looks like bad loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I really need some advice on i loft conversion i had carried out by a local builder

A problem has come to light when i had too drop a ceiling in a front bedroom, which exposed the floor joists for the loft, i have discovered that the joists seem\are suspended from the roof bearers with 3*2 wood every 600mm, then the hangers\stringers, are screwed to the joists which are approx 14 foot in length and sized 5*2, also he has placed a run of 3*2 over the existing ceiling joists and tied them into that as well. i can supply pics of the job.

i would of thought that they should of been placed on a larger beam secured to a wall and hung with hangers from there to span the width...

please any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
the fact that you speak of 14' spans and 5"x2" timbers sends a shiver down my spine.

14' requires 8"x 2" joists at 400c/c.

post-a-piccie please!

Doesn't sound right to me, was the work carried out under building control and what did the drawings specify, as nose says please post a photo or two.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the replies and interest and wanting pics to see the mess lol

but i have just had a building inspector (family friend) to take a look and as i guessed hes horrified at the state of the works, even wants to take action via the courts etc. he totally condemned the work..

looks like i have been a bit naive to say the least in thinking the works would be to the same standard as the extension which satisfied the building inspectors which was carried out by the same builder.

So a little warning to anyone thinking of doing any work ie a loft get it done properly and up to the regulations, lets face it there on our side anyways...

As for the regs ,as well as a total doge y floor, no fire retardant fitted what so ever and also the insulation fitted was a complete joke.. at least i ensured that each floor has smoke\fire detectors linked together..

I now have to try and get monies back and get the whole lot removed and replaced, even more annoying just had the ceiling in the landing and wall skimmed last week...

So learn from me get it done right first time round[/code]

Hi all i know this post is old however i came across the pics i had, please make comments on if this was a good job and a safe job, which by the way cost 9k :oops: in my album

Looks appalling!

The rafters won't have been designed for the loads that may potentially be imposed by the extra habitable space.

Steelwork should have been installed at floor level to pick up the new floor and walls.

Did the BCO pass this, and was an SE consulted?

had too have it pulled down, steels put nice BIG joists lol but still trying too get my money back :evil:

the worst part about is then he told me he does em all like that! so there must be a lot of dodgy loft conversions about

This then was all done presumably without any BC notification, inspection and nothing signed off?

And you handed over £9k! :eek:

And you handed over £9k! :eek:[/quote]

yep im a total idiot, however i never thought that my brother in-law would have done it that way, seeing he's been doing conversions for 20 years... and too add insult to injury i cant believe i never sussed the floor was suspended from the roof rafters, when i saw the frame work i thought it was the studding for the plaster board under the purlins, ie the back walls of cupboard space... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back