Floating railway sleeper mantel: fixings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 6' railway sleeper weighing 40kg (6*4" ish) fashioned as a fireplace mantel. I need to attach it to a brick wall, floating.
I can see a lot of fixings on Amazon but aimed more at shelves; due to the weight I'm nervous about choosing something sturdy enough.

In my mind I just pictured a bunch of half inch steel rods but can anyone point me at specific items that are suitable and tell me how many, so I can research?

Sponsored Links
Exposed brick or plaster?

If plastered you can chissel slots, fit angle brackets and then re-plaster over.

Otherwise yes steel rods into the wall, probably with chemical (resin) bonding. There have been previous threads about this that you might find if you guess the right terms to search for.

We've pulled the plaster off back to bare brick. Dot and dab then a skin on top. So I guess both options open?

Threaded rods into the wall, either into plugs or resin as above, pushed into the right size and positioned holes on the back of the sleeper. Guess you want a few (4?) due to the weight

Sponsored Links
And the beam can just sit on the rods relying on fiction not to shift? I guess it would be plastered in anyway

The rods are stuck into the back of the beam, either with friction or a bit of grip fill. On mine it’s just pushed on, you’d have to crowbar it off.

You could use a bed bolt joint with the access hole underneath.
Like this
upload_2019-2-16_18-46-7.png

another view
upload_2019-2-16_18-47-2.png

My 8x4 oak mantle approx 4ft long ...this was heavy! is fixed with thread bar 12 mm stainless steel from tool station chemical fixed, made a template with some MDF ....it’s solid and won’t come off !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back