Floating rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've done rsj's before but always wall to wall. This time what I would like is remove a wall in the kitchen which is straight forward wall to wall but would also like to remove a nib in the living room which is an extension to the wall in the kitchen. My plan is to extend the kitchen rsj by 1.2m and connect (Blot) another rsj to return to the wall (As detailed in the image the rsj is shaded in black) Is it ok to do this. above the kitchen wall (3.2m) is a wall and door to loft level, above the 1.2m run is a door and bit of wall to loft level and above the 1.8mm rsj there is a door and wall. is this the best way to do this ideally I don't want a upright beam in the living room or does anyone have any other ideas

Regards

Dan
rsj.jpg

Sponsored Links
You Definatley need the advice from a structural engineer.

I would think that you'll have to put a steel in over the living room to the opposite wall then have the 1.8m length bolted to it, like a T shape. I would then imagine that the foundation would need investigating.

I think someone with more experience will be better placed to advise.

You need an engineer.

And if you mention floating he'll design you a barge. It's cantilevered.

That 1.8m RSJ looks unstable unless the 1.2m is of very large section. Have you thought about hanging the RSJs from something in the loft. Steel in tension is immensely strong. A 1/2" diam hanger hidden in the wall plaster would cope with the weight.
Frank

Sponsored Links
As above, you need to get advice from a structural engineer. They will need to design the connection between existing steel and new cantilevered beam, the sizes of the new beams, assess the existing walls, and advise on the provision of padstones.

In principle it's do-able though...Are they just stud walls above?

Just to clarify there won't be a raj 1.2m long it feeds back all the way through the kitchen so about 4.5m with a 1.2m overhang. Above the long run it is brick wall to loft level with 2 doors and above the 1.8m run it is brick but only 1m long to loft level I could take this down and change it for a plastered wall

Many thanks for your replies

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back