Floating shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We'd like some floating shelves installed either side of the chimney stack in our bedroom. Measurements are slightly different each side but are around 960mm wide and 330mm deep. 330 will sit them back into the recesses slightly.

In total we would like 10 shelves. 5 each side. We don't like the idea of any angled brackets and so thought floating would be best but realise they're a bit more of a pain to install.

There is nothing off of the shelf that would fit these recesses. I looked into ikea's solutions but unfortunately they're too shallow.

I found a company online that did bespoke woodworking projects. Total cost was £960. This to me seems very steep. Am I right in thinking this? We simply want them installed and we're happy to paint and finish them ourselves.

Any advice would be great. Thanks very much.

Attached is a pic of the space in question.

David

Attachments

• DSC_1615.JPG
    DSC_1615.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
Depends on what wood it was? If it's oak. I'd say it's not too bad. Especially seeing your in London?
What thickness are the shelves?
We did some oak shelves, supply only to a fella the other day. 2 of them at around 650x350x20 and 6 small strips of 10mmx80mmx2m and it came to nearly £400. Because the waste involved in thicknessing down a 25mm board down to these sizes. And the labour involved takes a while.
I'd still shop around if I was you though.

You said floating shelves , so you don't want them to touch the sides .?

Recently fitted ikea oak lack floating shelves into fireplace alcoves,the sides of the shelves were trimmed to suit the various dimensions in the alcoves.The cut edges are hidden from sight.
The depth of floating shelves are 260mm anymore would be to much for the hidden bracket to hold up,taking into account the soft/crumbly brick work blown plaster and wide mortar joints,used 100mm rawplug fixings.
Finished result was very good.

Sponsored Links
You said floating shelves , so you don't want them to touch the sides .?

Happy for them to touch the sides. It'll probably be necessary for the battens I imagine? Oak isn't necessary either.

It's a shame as the Ikea ones are exactly the sort of look we're after but just not deep enough. The recesses are very deep.

5cm thick shelves would be good.

Recently fitted ikea oak lack floating shelves into fireplace alcoves,the sides of the shelves were trimmed to suit the various dimensions in the alcoves.The cut edges are hidden from sight.
The depth of floating shelves are 260mm anymore would be to much for the hidden bracket to hold up,taking into account the soft/crumbly brick work blown plaster and wide mortar joints,used 100mm rawplug fixings.
Finished result was very good.

This is what I looked at but 260mm shelves aren't deep. We may have to resort to this though if these quotes keep coming out at around £1000!

Not floating then just concealed fixing, lots of options available.
A search on this forum should give lots of results .

Thanks for the link. I have a few other quotes coming back today and tomorrow. If these are of a similar price I will try and construct the shelves myself.

Simple diy method is to mark up level line around alcove, drill and fix screws to wall in lines, leave 12-15 mm of head protruding, lay shelf cut to size on top of your screw heads and then tap to mark the underside with the screw head positions.Turn over shelf and drill or chisel small hole/slot to just deep enough to accept the screw head.Place shelf back on screw heads and screws will disappear up into the edge of the shelf.If you want a thicker shelf add another to the underside of the fixed shelf and screw glue to this.Finish front edge with iron/stick on veneer to hide the join.

another method
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Floating_shelf

This is how I'd do it. Presuming you were to use ply or MDF sheet material to form the faces of the shelves, I'd prefer to mitre the three sides and set them up with glue, easiest way would be to get yourself a set of collins mitre clamps, glued around the same timber you'd use for the battens. You can add glue to this and screws on the underside that wouldn't be easily visible.. I'd fix a batten to either cheek of the recess the sides of the chimney breast, my quick sketch is roughly based on 2x2 material. Then slide the whole thing over the two battens and if you require fix with screws on the underside along the recess walls.

Not sure if my explanation is clear but with the sketch it might become a little more so.

Attachments

• Floater.JPG
    Floater.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 102
Thanks for all the advice. I'm looking at tackling this at the weekend so again thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back