Flood defences

ellal said:
I believe that the elements in the water bill/rates regarding wastewater, surface water drainage, and highway drainage might have something to do with the provision of flood defences, because if the infrastructure is not in place to divert water away adequately, then areas will flood regardless of physical barriers!

The charges you pay for your water bil lare for the carriage and treatment of effluent and surface water from your property - not for flood defences.

the majority of problems are caused by highway surface water drains (local councils responsibility)

Sponsored Links
The simple fact is too much water fell out of the sky in a short period for the existing infrastructure to deal with.

It is not the fault of the Government, Water Companies, the Police or anyone else. It was a natural event..

GET OVER IT.

Those who do not have home insurance have my sympathy, but tax payers money should not be used to help them above the minimum required to give them shelter and food, those with children obviously being a priority.

Of course it's the governments fault, they should never have let it rain so much!

I live in Tewkesbury, and you will not hear me complain if my larger payments go towards ensuring that everything is possibly done to ensure that this cannot happen again.
What would grind me is if these extra payments go towards a pro rata pay rise for the bosses at ST, which no doubtedly they will but we will probably never know.
As a footnote, I have nothing really to benefit from aid to third world countries but my taxes are probably increased from time to time to pay for this.

Sponsored Links
BoxBasher said:
The charges you pay for your water bil lare for the carriage and treatment of effluent and surface water from your property - not for flood defences.

the majority of problems are caused by highway surface water drains (local councils responsibility)

What do describe as 'flood defences'?..

Because it doesn't matter how many barriers are put up, if the water enters the drainage system, and it isn't able to cope there will be flooding..

I used to live in Brighton, and there was often localised flooding because the drains couldn't take the extra amount of water because the 'flood plains' had been developed. So they built a huge 'storm drain'....guess who 'they' are - southern water. And the water bills rose because of it!...so don't think that 'flood defences' are nothing to do with water companies!

ellal said:
I used to live in Brighton, and there was often localised flooding because the drains couldn't take the extra amount of water because the 'flood plains' had been developed. So they built a huge 'storm drain'....guess who 'they' are - southern water. And the water bills rose because of it!...so don't think that 'flood defences' are nothing to do with water companies!

Flood Defences are not the responsibility of the Water Companies, they are the responsibility of the Department for the Environment. The drainage systems are the respnsibility of the water compnaies and they have legal obligations to ensure that they meet the needs of the population that they serve. Where these measures are found to be inadequate, the water companies must increase their ability to cope with demand, whether that be from humans or from natural precipitation.

Storm drains are not a flood defence, although I can certainly understand why some people think they are.

ricicle said:
I live in Tewkesbury, and you will not hear me complain if my larger payments go towards ensuring that everything is possibly done to ensure that this cannot happen again.
Muchos respectos ricicle. You are one of the people whom I like to see benefit from a water bill increase that I would be happy to pay.

What would grind me is if these extra payments go towards a pro rata pay rise for the bosses at ST, which no doubtedly they will but we will probably never know.
I share your view on that.

As a footnote, I have nothing really to benefit from aid to third world countries but my taxes are probably increased from time to time to pay for this.
My feeling on this is that unproductive countries are a burden to everyone, and that giving them a leg up in the pursuit of prosperity will eventually cut the cost of supporting them in the era of plight.

ricicle said:
I live in Tewkesbury

I will probably be down your neck of the woods with a valve key and stand pipe soon. We've been asked to assist with the restoration of supplies as part of a mutual aid agreement.
Going to take some serious flushing out and sampling before they sign the water off as safe to drink...

Stulz said:
Storm drains are not a flood defence, although I can certainly understand why some people think they are.

Of course they are! - and they are just as much a part of 'flood defences' as barrages, water channel diversion, sandbags etc etc..

If you can't get rid of surface water, regardless of any other measure, then an area will flood!

Just because the water companies aren't responsible for the other means of protection doen't mean that they are not part of the solution..

What flood defences would you suggest would help in a flat area which is not near a water course, other than the ability to stop water accumulating by getting rid of it via a drainage system?

Sponsored Links
Back