Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, Australia has had a bit of bad weather.

Whilst I feel sorry for the fact some people have died I have little sympathy for the country and the narrow minded inhabitants.

I've been having a heated discussion with an individual living in a non flood hit area. The lady seems very aggrivated (may ave speltt that rong moodymick), that I challenged the news coverage over the flooding.

I explained that our weather had been pretty awful, to which she retorted "no one died did they", and sent a a link to 16 homeless people dying in Poland with the comment "they hardly count, do they?" Apparently, they had no idea our weather was bad - but why would they? Too busy watching their boys getting spanked at cricket I guess.

I then sent her this link... www.metro.co.uk/news/851254-britains-big-freeze-death-toll-hits-300-every-day

She has now gone strangely quiet.

So, move to Oz - its great. :rolleyes: Moan when you have a bit of rain and expect the whole world to sympathise with you. Oh, and just forget about the poor people of Haiti who actually are suffering - and not becuase the local lobster restaurant has flowed down a river.

Floods happen, and I feel genuine sorrow for people who have lost loved ones... but apart from the money to rebuild is it really that bad?

What about...

Haiti Earthquake
Asian Tsunami....
to name just a couple

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
when i found out about climate change back in 1976 i moved to the top of a hill. no problem for me.

when i found out about climate change back in 1976 i moved to the top of a hill. no problem for me.

Were we worried about climate change back then? Seem to remember that the preoccupation was with the state of British Leyland and whether the Ruskies were going to nuke us. Ozone layer and millenium bug were next. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm sure if we had been worried, it would have been called global warming. Now that even the scientists researching it can't agree, it has been re-named 'climate change', as temps. could go either way. Hedging their bets really.

Sponsored Links
Ahh the summer of 1976,,, Hosepipe bans, grass withered and brown, plants dying,, At least the weather was nice and warm. ;) ;)

There are having a rough time in Brazil too!
When a country is renowned for it's golden beaches, great weather and lovely ladies.
Doesn't mean we should not feel for there loss, just because our weather is always shyte!

its not a one off though is it,
various photos/film ive seen they have markers on them with the height of the water at a set time/year,
i think the reson why it is so bad is say back in 1974 there was a lot less population and buildings,like here they end up building on flood plains and the water has no where to go?

like all natural disaters it is a real shame people lose there lives :cry:

Were we worried about climate change back then? Seem to remember that the preoccupation was with the state of British Leyland and whether the Ruskies were going to nuke us. Ozone layer and millenium bug were next. :rolleyes:

Nope ...there was a potato shortage...chippies doubled their prices and never dropped 'em afterwards.

Seems strange that people mention me, while mentioning others? Even a bastardisation of my username..but nice to be remembered..but why mention me, in no context of the post? It's MickyMoody for a reason. Taking the mick, and moody. Get over it.

I recall being taught in school in the mid 80's that an ice age was coming "within your lifetimes".

As for the rain - after being snowbound for two weeks over christmas, I can deal with the flooding in Devon this week. Not quite on Australia's scale, granted, but they've got a great positive attitude and won't just sit around afterwards waiting for handouts from other countries.

like digdilem, we are experiencing a lot of rain this week and it is causing a few problems up the canal where i work at weekends.
we have a big maintenance job to do on one of our locks as a precurser we drained a section (1/2mile) of around 18" water to lower the level last weekend sadly as it has rained its almost back to normal level already. but hey ho we will still get on with the necessary work.
flooding is only a problem when its unusual and unexpected we get floods on a regular basis so can deal with it, the real problems are when things are built on flood plains etc or the natural environment is messed about with by humans!! mother nature has a way of undoing things that are wrong!

edit: friday night canal not only full but overflowing!! with more rain forecast its going to be a very wet work party on sunday!! HeHo :LOL:

Exactly. The deaths in Brazil would not have happened if people hadn't been allowed to build their shanties on unstable hillsides where nobody has ever built before. Natural events have occurred since time began; they only become disasters when humans get in the way.

Most people in Brazil's big cities live in shanty towns. They can't afford to be choosy.

Sponsored Links
Back