Whose fault is the flooding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst having every sympathy for those suffering from the extreme weather conditions am I alone in being of the view that there is a choice issue here! If I chose to live on a flood plain should I expect that i might get flooded at some time in the future.
It seems that once again we, the media mainly, are as always looking for someone to blame. In this case anybody but rhe owners who choose to be there.
Sympathy? yes, sharing the blame? No

Sponsored Links
the trouble we have is unless you have a "wise one" in your family living locally you rely on others to inform and often the information is not easy to find

we cannot expect every home buyer to be fully conversant with all point off the building and surrounding land
most will have the minimum checks required by there provider as they cost money :cry:

I think most people, especially those living close to rivers, accept that floods will occur.

The difference with these floods is the scale of the flooding and the lack of proportional response.

All the talk about dredging is nonesense and would not prevent flooding on this scale.

The closer the flooding gets to the more 'important' parts of the country, the greater the response.

Somerset is hardly the driving force behind the nations' financial beating heart nor is it particularly densely populated. Flooding in the South East will always garner the best response.

Dredging would have helped some (not all) of the problem. It stands to reason the more room in a river, dyke, ditch etc the more it can carry and cope with.

The public and powers that be don't seem to hold much store with the fact that farms, fields and livestock all play a significant part in this country's economy and are more affected by this than a 'normal' house holder.

A farm on the news the other night had 150 head of cattle stood in a foot of water in the crew while he was desperately trying to get transport organised to move them. Cattle that cost on average £1000 per head. His whole winter supply of feed was under water and ruined. All this after he and helpers from neighbouring farms had spent the preceding days building a bank around it trying to keep the water out. Fields that take whole seasons to come right again, so what can mr farmer grow for next season in a swamped field?
And this is just one example. So when you see pictures in the media, remember they aren't Just fields with low population per acre etc.

These are the people I feel for. It's not as simple as you shouldn't live on a flood plane a lot of these farms have been there for generations but the subsequent building around the area can have an enormous impact in not only flooding but water run off, pushing the problem further along where there had been no problem previously.

The EA took on responsibility of maintaining the waterways and that is what they are paid to do. They have not done that and that is why they are rightly regarded now as a shower of shoite.

There are many factors that have lead up to and possibly caused/ compounded this problem but if everyone had done as they were supposed to ie dredged rivers etc (as had always been done since domesday erea I may add) instead of listening to the do gooder tree huger lobby in recent years this may not have had been as serious as it's turned out to be.

Right, rant over, off to work it is. :D

Sponsored Links
Why do people buy house's in a potential flood plane??. They may get the house repaired when the flood's recede but for them it's a house for life as surely the market value has been wiped away overnight and on top of that no insurer will ever go near them again . So glad I live where I do.

The areas have been managed for ages no problem.

Local boards kept things going (like dredging).

Goverment closed them down and gave the responsibility to the enviroment agency.

Enviroment agency immediatly stopped dredging, claiming it was to expensive (which has been shown to be utter rot, they had plenty of money but wanted to spend it elsewhere).

There has also been work on increasing flooding on nearby areas to create more wildlife sanctuarys, further increasing the water load, reducing flood defenses (the water has fewer places to go).

I'm more apt to blame stupidity than malicious intent, but its not hard for some people to think this may even have been deliberate.

From :- http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk...erset-Levels/story-20453023-detail/story.html

"I don’t really need to make the case for dredging the rivers on the Somerset Levels. The Environment Agency’s computer modelling, carried out in the wake of last year’s floods, has done it for me. This demonstrated that, if the carrying capacity of the Parrett and Tone was restored from its existing 60% of potential to around 90%, the severity of flood events would be, in their words, “significantly reduced”.

3146726-a-golfer-sinks-a-long-putt-and-watches-the-ball-dive-into-the-hole.jpg

And there are STILL people out there that deny climate change. Bloody fools. :rolleyes:

The areas have been managed for ages no problem.

Local boards kept things going (like dredging).

Goverment closed them down and gave the responsibility to the enviroment agency.

Enviroment agency immediatly stopped dredging, claiming it was to expensive (which has been shown to be utter rot, they had plenty of money but wanted to spend it elsewhere).

There has also been work on increasing flooding on nearby areas to create more wildlife sanctuarys, further increasing the water load, reducing flood defenses (the water has fewer places to go).

I'm more apt to blame stupidity than malicious intent, but its not hard for some people to think this may even have been deliberate.

Conspiracy theory hey!! Seems my view on this has little support as I expected. ..... We are in a blame culture so it seems someone has to be found to blame and carry the can.
Cant we accept that:-
...this is extraordinary weather than it is not economically sensible to cater for.
...that those who buy property on flood plains with all the plusses that gives, including lower house prices, glorious views etc., should just accept and prepare themselves for potential flooding.
...the press choose to try and hype it up and create conflict between political parties and support agencies
...that a one of exceptional meteorological event does not in itself tie in with global warming (i happen to be an un- convinced)
...that no one , at least human, it to blame.

And there are STILL people out there that deny climate change. Bloody fools. :rolleyes:
Why is it when half the planet freezes over with 40-50 degree below temperatures its just weather. But when it rains (like it has done for millennia) it's climate change?

Whilst having every sympathy for those suffering from the extreme weather conditions am I alone in being of the view that there is a choice issue here! If I chose to live on a flood plain should I expect that i might get flooded at some time in the future.
It seems that once again we, the media mainly, are as always looking for someone to blame. In this case anybody but rhe owners who choose to be there.
Sympathy? yes, sharing the blame? No

What about the developers who build on the flood plains, and the councils who allow them to do so? As I understand (tho I forget where from - could be 'guy in the pub') it's often not the "new" houses that flood, but other, older ones because the water that used to go to the flood plain now has nowhere to go.

...this is extraordinary weather than it is not economically sensible to cater for.

So dispite the EA's own computer models saying dredging would "significanly reduce" flooding, we have......

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/01/18/flooding-in-the-somerset-levels-a-case-study/

image_thumb54.png

The graph makes clear that last month’s rainfall was not unusual in any way. Since 1910, it ranks as the 19th wettest, in other words a once every 5 year event. The rain in December does not even compare with years such as 1934, when 307mm was recorded. In fact, it is noticeable that all of the really wet Decembers occurred prior to 1970.

(Flooding started in december FYI)

...that those who buy property on flood plains with all the plusses that gives, including lower house prices, glorious views etc., should just accept and prepare themselves for potential flooding.

Such places used to pay a local water board to manage these issues, these were abolished by the government (against local residents wishes) to replace with the EA, who then stopped doing the work.

But clearly they must "accept" the flooding.

...that a one of exceptional meteorological event does not in itself tie in with global warming

It's rain, you can go on the met office website to see the current weather is nothing exceptional.

In short, HURR DURR.

Sponsored Links
Back