Whose fault is the flooding?

...this is extraordinary weather than it is not economically sensible to cater for.

So dispite the EA's own computer models saying dredging would "significanly reduce" flooding, we have......

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/01/18/flooding-in-the-somerset-levels-a-case-study/

image_thumb54.png

The graph makes clear that last month’s rainfall was not unusual in any way. Since 1910, it ranks as the 19th wettest, in other words a once every 5 year event. The rain in December does not even compare with years such as 1934, when 307mm was recorded. In fact, it is noticeable that all of the really wet Decembers occurred prior to 1970.

(Flooding started in december FYI)

...that those who buy property on flood plains with all the plusses that gives, including lower house prices, glorious views etc., should just accept and prepare themselves for potential flooding.

Such places used to pay a local water board to manage these issues, these were abolished by the government (against local residents wishes) to replace with the EA, who then stopped doing the work.

But clearly they must "accept" the flooding.

...that a one of exceptional meteorological event does not in itself tie in with global warming

It's rain, you can go on the met office website to see the current weather is nothing exceptional.

In short, HURR DURR.

Hurr Durr.......To quote AronSearle earlier 'What are you going on about' ??

Sponsored Links
the Somerset Levels are not a floodplain - the best explanation is as follows (these are not my words but copied from someone who lives on the levels and is actively engaged in rescue attempts:

The idea that the Levels are a flood plain is just not correct - but it's been repeated so many times it's now perceived as true.

The Levels are reclaimed land, like Holland, so the rivers are about 10ft above ground level.

So the land is like a soup bowl, wide and shallow, with nowhere for water to go - it has to be physically pumped into the rivers.

The land is then irrigated by a series of rhynes or ditches.

The idea is that the rivers flow through, in one end, out the other, water being taken off or put back in by the pump station, and thus the levels maintained (hence it's called the Levels)

About 1995 the Environment Agency decided to stop maintaining the rivers, mainly due to the cost, they stopped dredging the silt that comes from the Severn.

So now, the same volume of water comes in, can't fit in the rivers, so 'over tops' in to the land below, which fills up. It can't be emptied cos the rivers are full.

A flood plain is an area designed to take the run off from a river, then feed it back in as the river level drops, that's quite different and not physically possible on the Levels.

London, on the other hand, is built on a fluvial flood plain, imagine what would happen if the EA saved a few quid by not using the Thames Barrier.......

Sponsored Links
In Holland 60% of the country is below sea level. Amsterdam is 1 metre below sea level, its airport is 3 metres below sea level.
The Dutch dedicate a Ministry solely to protect against floods.
It is controlled by civil engineers.

In Britian flood defences is entrusted to a group of bird watchers.
So when the floods arrive the birds just fly off to safety and all the other wildlife perishes.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
How do you know if you are buying a house on a flood plain? I doubt if anyone tells you. Would a survey bring it up?

How do you know if you are buying a house on a flood plain? I doubt if anyone tells you. Would a survey bring it up?
Err........bit of common sense might help and a tad of simple research by the buyer. Cant think who else should be responsible other than the buyer.

Just ask the local farmers. Particulary the ole timers.
No charge for that and no need for costly surveys.

Err........bit of common sense might help and a tad of simple research by the buyer. Cant think who else should be responsible other than the buyer.

So what about Canterbury, Chertsey, Finchingfield etc...Are they classed as being on a flood plain? They still got flooded.

So what about Canterbury, Chertsey, Finchingfield etc...Are they classed as being on a flood plain? They still got flooded.
Squeaky, buyers have to be responsible for what they spend their money on. It really isn't rocket science to establish if the property you wish to buy is vulnerable to potential flooding. It seems to me that an awful lot of people turn a blind eye to the dangers of buying in an iffy area and then bleat when it all goes tits up.
Im fed up with this 'find someone to blame other than me' culture.
It may be harsh but 'buyer beware'

If the area is flat then it can flood.
Simples.

Stay on the hills.

A few years ago a new housing estate was built on the flood plain of our local river. On viewing their show home, I asked their sales rep how far from the river was the development. What river? was the response!!.....I walked straight out.

Im fed up with this 'find someone to blame other than me' culture.

Except there was a body responsible for dredging the rivers and maintaining water levels, it was disbanded and the job given to the EA, who decided not to do it, seems a pretty clear case of "someone to blame".

Water pipes need maintenance, power lines, roads, and they can all be destroyed by natural (and predictable) events.

I doubt you'd cry "oh I hate this blame culture" if the various people responsible for maintaining any of those didn't bother to, somehow rain being a natural occurrence changes things, Really, do you blame god if your roof leaks, or do you blame the roofer for doing a poor job?

Dredging will have zero impact on large scale flooding.

Even the EA's computer models say the effect would be significant.

Don't you people ever get bored of being wrong about everything, even in the face of overwhelming evidence?

Hurr Durr.......To quote AronSearle earlier 'What are you going on about' ??

Im sorry if the facts and links I posted are too complicated for you, I tried but could not find the sesame street version.

Sponsored Links
Back