Whose fault is the flooding?

Dredging will have zero impact on large scale flooding.

Even the EA's computer models say the effect would be significant.
Not against large scale flooding they don't.

The Environment Agency’s computer modelling, carried out in the wake of last year’s floods, has done it for me. This demonstrated that, if the carrying capacity of the Parrett and Tone was restored from its existing 60% of potential to around 90%, the severity of flood events would be, in their words, “significantly reduced”.

6-0 to me, try harder.

Sponsored Links
And there are STILL people out there that deny climate change. Bloody fools. :rolleyes:

Any other pearls of wisdom oh wise one? Do you know what you're talking about? Any other guesswork and unsound 'predictions' for us?

Predictions like the ones you made last September -

One thing we are expected to get is a very cold winter. So far the run up matches exactly the winter of 62/63. Every fifty years we get a cold winter so one is due.

Weather tends to be cyclic. The shallow ice in the arctic will reflect more light/heat so we'll be getting a few cold winters, just like the early sixties. The coldest spring since records began (1962) the coldest spring since 1962 (2013). We're in for a big freeze.

//www.diynot.com/forums/general-discussion/arctic-ice-cap-grows-by-60.376466/

Come on Joe! What are we getting - cooling, warming - somewhere in the middle? Are we on for a scorcher of a summer?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Spot on Noseall.
I presume that AronSearle would be first in the queue to stump up the taxes required in order to bring flood defences up to a standard to defend what we are now experiencing.
Oh, and lets not stop at flooding lets put into effect measures to protect any future 6 foot dumps of snow that haven't occurred in the last 200 years but might well happen next month........lets just forget the cost . Doh

Sponsored Links
When I bought my home I didn't think about floods. I bought it because: -

Near family
Near to my work base
Know the area. (For a long........ time).

And in, and over, some 40 years I've never known the f'uckin place to flood like this in my life until about two years ago! (NB. I don't own a Crystal Ball or trust anyone who purports to).

My choice of residence NOT being in a place which gets flooded was my good fortune over good judgment or 'intelligence' I PAID FOR from professionals who are meant to tell me what I am buying into and all potential pitfalls...

Near family
Near to my work base

And in, and over, some 40 years I've never known the f'uckin place to flood like this in my life until about two years ago! (NB. I don't own a Crystal Ball or trust anyone who purports to).

My choice of residence NOT being in a place which gets flooded was my good fortune over good judgment or 'intelligence' I PAID FOR from professionals who are meant to tell me what I am buying into and all potential pitfalls...
Your wrong Big Tone......you pays your money and you takes your choice. Man up and take responsibility for decisions, good or bad that you make. I lost a fortune on a property purchase before the crash 6 years ago but guess what ? It was my decision and I take full responsibility for the loss I incurred, not the banks, not the government, not the professionals who could have advised me , no not any of them...... I blame myself.

Whose fault is the flooding?

I think you're all missing the important point. Clearly, it's God's fault.

Or it might be Allah or Jehovah. Who knows?

Anyway, as it's an 'act of God' it wouldn't surprise me if insurance companies try to wriggle out of paying for losses.

I'm sure Joe will be along soon to assure us that God's retribution has come about because we're all becoming atheists these days!

Near family
Near to my work base

Your wrong Big Tone......you pays your money and you takes your choice. Man up and take responsibility for decisions, good or bad that you make. I lost a fortune on a property purchase before the crash 6 years ago but guess what ? It was my decision and I take full responsibility for the loss I incurred, not the banks, not the government, not the professionals who could have advised me , no not any of them...... I blame myself.
You may sway me but, I think you're talking in terms of hindsight and 'it's obvious after the event'.

The whole point, IMHO, is that we are not and can never ALL be: a car mechanic, a GP, a solicitor, a 17th edition electrician or Gas Safe engineer.

Please reconsider your stance....

You work in whatever you do and PAY to appoint someone who acts in your best interest - FOR YOU?

Or do we all have to be our own: electrician, GP, Gas Safe, car mechanic....?

I am glad I live in Harold on the Hill, we have never heard of what floods are! :p

But those who are flooded in, think of it as a mega chellenge to build flood proof houses, I am sure new problems can result in new innovations, water tight doors, and windows like a submarine, with trap doors system, and you could be watching fish swimming past your bedroom windows! Have your toilet, bath and kitchen on first floor so that water can't flow back through sewage pipes (back flow) and isntaed of having cars also have boats moored outside, life couldn't be more exciting! :)

Oh! btw, I am more worried about the sink holes as that doesn't depent on global warming! and it could swallow your car overnight!

Have your toilet, bath and kitchen on first floor so that water can't flow back through sewage pipes (back flow)
I saw Eric Pickles on the One Show the other night and he breifly mentioned something about making new build houses more flood resistant.

My first flat - and the new block that was built next to me - were garages on the ground floor and the flats above inherently making them more flood proof as the water would have to be 8' high to reach living areas. IMO if all new houses in areas defined by the EA as flood risks zones were build in a similar method then in case of severe flooding the cleanup and bill to the insurance industry would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

I presume that AronSearle would be first in the queue to stump up the taxes required in order to bring flood defences up to a standard to defend what we are now experiencing.

I'm sure AronSearle would be first in the queue to demand that Poor People have the right to be flooded just the same as rich folks... :LOL:

Spot on Noseall.

Noseall can claim to be a troll, whats your excuse for such ignorance?

The EA's own computer models say it would have significantly affected the outcome, you can keep claiming "it wouldnt do anything", but that's your opinion based upon?

Oh right, nothing.....

It would probably help you if you knew anything about the subject yes?

The costs are now so high because regular maintenence was not carried out, multiplying by a factor of 10x or more the costs. Local drainage boards used to manage the job on quite a small budget. Dredging would have cost a few more million and prevented tens or hundreds of million in damages.

lets just forget the cost . Doh

Yes, DOH indeed.

These are artificial lands, that means they need maintenence. It is no different than a bridge, surfaces need maintenence, bolts inspected and tightneded, steel painted, don't do that and the bridge falls over causing immense damage, somehow though when the EA fails to do the necessary maintanence it isnt their fault?

hmmm, nope.

Please do keep trying to disagree with me, its fun watching your trip over your own arguments.

Near family
Near to my work base

You may sway me but, I think you're talking in terms of hindsight and 'it's obvious after the event'.

The whole point, IMHO, is that we are not and can never ALL be: a car mechanic, a GP, a solicitor, a 17th edition electrician or Gas Safe engineer.

Please reconsider your stance....

You work in whatever you do and PAY to appoint someone who acts in your best interest - FOR YOU?

Or do we all have to be our own: electrician, GP, Gas Safe, car mechanic....?
I guess the point I am trying to make and this was the real intent of this post when I started it is that I am sick to the back teeth of the press, the locals, TV pundits trying to find someone to blame other than natural forces. I say again, if I buy a property on a potential flood plain then that is my choice, my risk, my responsibility if it all goes tits up. No one else's but mine....professionals advise but I make the decision.....end of.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Perhaps a law should be passed mandating that the 'media' tell the truth.

Report -
A very small proportion, 5,000, (out of what? 25,000,000) of the houses in Britain have been flooded - not as the headline on the BBC news web page - "Surrey Under Water".

Also, ban all the stupid reporters from standing in puddles and waving their arms around inanely.

Perhaps a law should be passed mandating that the 'media' tell the truth.

Report -
A very small proportion, 5,000, (out of what? 25,000,000) of the houses in Britain have been flooded - not as the headline on the BBC news web page - "Surrey Under Water".

Also, ban all the stupid reporters from standing in puddles and waving their arms around inanely.

It's true. Perhaps they are all wannabe actors.

Not that I'm daring to suggest that the press ever exaggerate.

Sponsored Links
Back