Flood light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a light on the outside wall of a house which you can turn on from a switch on the wall inside.

I want to install a PIR sensor light. The floodlight I have bought requires a live/ neutral/earth but inside the switch their is only two reds. A switch live I am gathering off the light circuit . I have not took the outside light fitting off yet to see if their is a neutral and earth in that.

Before I take off should their be neutral and earth to light but its not in switch as it located behind switch ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There will definitely be a neutral at the outdoor light or it wouldn’t work.

There SHOULD be an Earth and you’ll have to check. If there isn’t and your new light requires one, you’re going to have to do some rewiring.

For whatever reason someone has used a joint box somewhere for the outside light rather than taking everything to the switch - not uncommon or wrong, just a bit annoying sometimes

There will definitely be a neutral at the outdoor light or it wouldn’t work.

There SHOULD be an Earth and you’ll have to check. If there isn’t and your new light requires one, you’re going to have to do some rewiring.

For whatever reason someone has used a joint box somewhere for the outside light rather than taking everything to the switch - not uncommon or wrong, just a bit annoying sometimes

Thanks , The cable whats used on the light I think is 1.5 twin / earth. I will have to check but if I remember when checked inside switch it was. If I want to move light higher up wall. And I have some spare Butyl 1.5 and some plastic conduent I could use. What is the best way to join twin and earth and Butyl ?

Are connector blocks allowed inside conduent ?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back