Flooding high water table area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically my house is higher than my garden by approx 1.5m
The house has a basement of approx height 1.5m
I have a sump pump fitted in the basement due to the house been on high water table area.
I want to know if i put some sort of drainage under the driveway that connects to the main drains if this would impact on the high water table, please bear in mind the driveway is the same height as the house or the same level, the rear garden is lower than the house.

I am looking at ways of decreasing the high water table and diverting the water that gets in to the groud either towards a drain or away from the house.

I would appreciate your replies.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure that's quite the response smaj was hoping for....!

Basically, if you have a high water table, you are stuck with it.

If there was anywhere you could drain it to, it would already have naturally drained to that area.

Sponsored Links
Not sure of the technicalities but, if you drain water away from your house because of a high water table, you may possibly de-stabilise the surrounding ground work.
You should really seek the help of professionals rather than ask on a DIY site. Granted, you may get some reasonable advice or pointers, but I wouldn't tackle something without speaking with experts first. You may also need local authority/water board permission for diverting a natural source.

I am looking at ways of decreasing the high water table and diverting the water that gets in to the groud either towards a drain or away from the house.
No chance.

Water finds it's own level.

ye-cannae-break-the-laws-o-physics.jpg

Not sure of the technicalities but, if you drain water away from your house because of a high water table, you may possibly de-stabilise the surrounding ground work.
You should really seek the help of professionals rather than ask on a DIY site. Granted, you may get some reasonable advice or pointers, but I wouldn't tackle something without speaking with experts first. You may also need local authority/water board permission for diverting a natural source.

Is there anyone you recommend I speak to? Also will getting a new non porrous driveway done reduce the high water table or not?

As for the garden, if I put perforated drainage in leading water away from the house will this benefit?

reduce the high water table or not?
Not.
will this benefit?
No.
You can exclude water from an enclosed structure - such as a basement - with a sump and pump system. But you're already doing that? If it's not working adequately, spend your money, time and effort upgrading/improving it.

Is there anyone you recommend I speak to? Also will getting a new non porrous driveway done reduce the high water table or not?

As for the garden, if I put perforated drainage in leading water away from the house will this benefit?

I honestly don't know who would be best to talk with but I'm sure your local water authority could point you in the right direction.
To your other questions I have no answers. Sorry.

I was chatting with a chap last year who had a similar problem on his garden and he dug a 'French drain' around the affected area to deflect the encroaching water. It works well enough and perhaps that could help with your problem, but as previously pointed out a high water table is not an easy thing to deal with.

Sponsored Links
Back