Flooding in sub floor void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a suspended timber floor. I am currently replacing the floorboards for primarily cosmetic reasons.

However during recent overnight downpour I noticed about 1" of water at the bottom of the void.

Is this something I should be worried about?

The airbricks were clean and dry, so water did not come from outside runoff. It would seem that sheer pressure of groundwater forced its way through thin concrete layer at bottom of subfloor void. The flooding at no time reached the damp proof course of walls or sleeper walls. Water did not reach any timbers. Standing water had completing drained within 1 day, though concrete retains damp patch for many days depending on prevailing weather.

Other than ensure air bricks remain clear, DPC remains intact, timbers are treated and remove any debris from void, is there any other action I could take to prevent or mitigate against this occurence?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You may have spring water because of high water level(?)

Impossible to say without seeing the surrounding, a sump pit with pump is not unheard of or french drain to re-route the rainwater elsewhere, it needs to be sorted out. Give the BCO a ring for more information, most common problem are the pre-war properties.

Thanks for that - more research into French drain may be needed.

The property is pre-war (though its hard to convince Anglian Water of this - different story).

The surrounding soil is clay so it does take time to soak away.

I'm fairly satisifed that the cause is temporary high water level due to clay soil.

If this has always been happening then I'm convinced I have little to worry about. Timber damage when I removed the old floor boards was minimal, and I assume these had been in place for at least 30 years.

Its just that with the floor void open I have a once in 20 year chance to do something !!??

JZ

Plenty ventilation via air-bricks will clear any musky smell.

Sponsored Links
masona has it right , its bad drainage an you should be looking at digging soakaways from the property , an if they remain full , you need to see the water board , about pumping it away as it natural surface water ... an they should bylaw sort it ....as masona says the building control officer at your local council SHOULD TELL YOU THIS , but they dont .....water board are liable for you prob , get an inspector out ...

Sorry for dragging up an old(ish) post but...

Moz said:
....water board are liable for you prob , get an inspector out ...

Groundwater drainage is nothing to do with water board. Local authority are responsible for land drains/natural watercourses but groundwater is an "act of god" and therefore you have to deal with it yourself.

Loads of the houses near me have pipes built into the footings to allow water to flow through, rather than sitting against the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back