Flood/Damp Defence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

We have recently removed a rotten suspended timber floor from one of the ground floor rooms in an old house we recently purchased. The ends of the timbers at the front of the room had completely rotted through.

The void underneath the floor is between 1 and 1.4 metres deep and at the 1.4 end has about 8 inches of water after rainfall (i think this is rising ground water)

I'm after some advice on how to repair the floor and protect it against any further water/damp damage.

I would like to replace the floor with solid concrete with a damp proof course with insulation but reading the building regs it advises no more than 60cm of hardcore so i wouldn't be able to fill the void.

I am concerned that just replacing and treating the timbers and adding more air bricks may help prevent rising damp but not help with rising ground water or potential flooding in the area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks,
matt

Sponsored Links
The void can be filled, it just need to be compacted in layers.

There is nothing stopping you filling with (cheaper) heavier and larger in-fill material, prior to finishing off with 30mm-dust mot.

Sponsored Links
I would like to replace the floor with solid concrete with a damp proof course with insulation but reading the building regs it advises no more than 60cm of hardcore so i wouldn't be able to fill the void.

That's rubbish.

When a floor slab suffering from sulphate attack needs to be replaced, its common to remove at least 1m of ground below the slab.

So infilling your floor void will be no problem. Just make sure you compact it in layers

That's rubbish.

When a floor slab suffering from sulphate attack needs to be replaced, its common to remove at least 1m of ground below the slab.

So infilling your floor void will be no problem. Just make sure you compact it in layers

I'd much rather fill the void than have anything suspended with a void that could fill with water.

I checked the with building control officer, he told me they would not recommend anything over 600mm due to risk of movement and the concrete cracking unless i had an Structural engineer design somthing which was reinforced with steel. He also said new builds would not go above 600mm of hardcode

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back