Will water leak affect the edge of the plasterboard ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning

I was wondering if you can help me ?

I have a new timber framed house which has been sheeted using 12mm plasterboard.

We had a water leak which partially flooded the ground floor. It is a concrete floor with ceramic tiles.

The water was about 5mm deep.

Some of the water was aborbed by the edge of the plasterboard, which is fixed to the timber frame. The outer paper layer has become damp at the bottom edges.

The water was there for a couple of hours and then dried out a few hours later.

Will the water absorbed by the plasterboard dry out and and will it leave any permanent damage ?

The leak happened last Thursday. I can not see any evidence of the water rising up the plasterboard - is this what normally you would expect the water to rise up the visible face o the plasterboard ?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sponsored Links
When a plasterboard is plastered or even painted then it is exposed to water with no ill effects. It is surprisingly resilient.

From a cosmetic point of view, there could be some stubborn residual staining.

Plasterboards in suspension (ceiling) or under pressure from packed insulation can suffer some degree of bowing when exposed to water, and that once dry may retain the bow.

Hi

The plasterboard affected is only on the walls on the timber framed partition.

It have all been painted with a primer ( mist coat ? ) and then 2/3 coats of Johnstones Trade Acrylic Matt Emulsion.

I think that the wall plates would have absorbed the water and as it migrated up with affected the paper face of the plasterboard.

Looks like we should be okay then ? Finger crossed.

A lot of the skirting boards have cupped so they will need to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Noseall, is it fair to say that the wall plates will eventually dry out.

I assume as the water can get it, it can get out !

Keeping the ground floor at 14 deg C to try and assist drying.

Is there any benefit to using a dehumidifier or will the moisture evaporate naturally ?

There is no better way than replacing the air in a room with drier air, i.e. open a window! ;)

Plaster board will dry out quiet successfully even after being fairly well soaked & I’ve rescued a few seriously flooded ceilings with no more ill effects than cracked scrim tape & some local staining. It will soak up into the board but as long as it was not sitting in water for days & is not swollen or powdery, it should be fine once it’s fully dried out. You may need some primer over any staining to avoid it leeching through any new paint.

It’s usual practice to cut & fit plasterboard dry lining 10-15mm short of the floor to avoid any problems with damp or minor flooding; the gap is normally be hidden by skirting.

Hi

I remember now that the plasterboard did stop short of the concrete floor, so the water must be being sucked up by the skirting board.

Many thanks to everyone - much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back