Is my barn roof strong enough to support plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a barn, single layer brick, which I plan to insulate with timber stud frames and celotex, and then plasterboard.
One end it brick right up to the roof, the other is a large doorway and wooden structure.
It has a pitched roof, and I plan to celotex between the existing rafters, and then was going to plasterboard over the top. The roof is timber framed, and tiled with clay tiles. It is over 100 years old. The roof is in a good condition but it has now dawned on me after realising how heavy plasterboard is (I went for 12mm thick) that I'm not sure if the roof is strong enough.

Without paying a structural engineer - how can I work this out?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 174
Sponsored Links
That roof would be OK to support insulation and plasterboard.

ok thanks. I realise that my question is a based on unqualified weights/dimensions, but is there any kind of calculation I can do rather than just assume it is strong enough?

Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Where to start!!!
If you are concerned about it (which you really needn't be) you would be best speaking with an SE and getting them to do some number crunching for you.
Sure, it would cost, but to do it yourself might require a considerable input of your own time, and would it be worth it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back