Barn ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m trying to fit a barn ceiling For an office but have come a cropper.

I want to fit plasterboard between rafters but because I have installed celotex between them I have nothing to attach the boards to. My suggested option is to build a framework inside the rafters with timber.

1. would this be ok?
2. What type and size of timber do I need.

If the framework was a ladder shape it could be screwed to the joists and to the purlins at 600s. The ridge end has no ridge showing so would need to be self supporting.

As it’s a 250 year old barn your standard measurements go out the window as the gaps are not equal, the noggins would be at about 95 intervals mostly as they would be the purlins

Any ideas appreciated

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/barn-ceiling.549791/#ixzz6TNR1YA8z

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
roof lats screwed to the exisitng timbers would be sufficient to screw boards to. but you would probably need some 3x2" noggins to reduce sagging.

Thanks for the advice, I have some 3x2 and some 4x2 so will combine to fix to rafters and purlins. I can lay them flat so I get more surface area to screw boards to and more depth between the rafters. I just need it to be solid and safe I guess.

Sponsored Links
2" x 1" batten and fix minimum 12.5mm boards and skim. Use fire rated boards if you want a stiffer ceiling or drop in a few 2"x 2" noggs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back