Boarding a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have to plasterboard a ceiling in an old small barn which is going to be an occasional guest lodge. the timbers are 600mm centre and there will be foot traffic above. I have been asked to put in noggings which will run along the length of the boards (the bound edge) How do I put the noggins in so that they all run in a straight line (1200mm centres from each other) If I stagger the noggins then they will be of no use at all.

Sponsored Links
It will be likely that the perimeter walls are not square, so you need to take this in to account.

Couple of things that you could do, is make a template that will give you your 1200mm centres or take measurements and mark up.
It's really not that difficult, but you must take in to account that the walls may not be square to each other.
and when you do fix the boards up, use screws spaced about 150-200mm a part and stagger your boards joints.
http://www.zurich.co.uk/NR/rdonlyre...DE0F7CFBC0/0/PlasterboardCeiling107782A02.pdf

Hi all, I have to plasterboard a ceiling in an old small barn which is going to be an occasional guest lodge. the timbers are 600mm centre and there will be foot traffic above. I have been asked to put in noggings which will run along the length of the boards (the bound edge) How do I put the noggins in so that they all run in a straight line (1200mm centres from each other) If I stagger the noggins then they will be of no use at all.

If I understand your question correctly, you will have to skew screw (or nail gun) so that all noggins lie along a straight line.

Another alternative is to use 15mm board without noggins except at perimeter. British Gypsum White Book says this is OK up to 600mm joist spacing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back