Should I insulate the void above the kitchen ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im revamping a barn for a possible future barn conversion. Tomorrow im putting the plasterboard up on the proposed kitchen area ceiling. However as theres no deadline to this project I wondered if theres any building regs that say to insulate the void between the ground and first floor? I wouldnt want to have to pull the plasterboard off in the future if not needed and buying insulation would be pennys in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
if both rooms will be heated, you don't need it for thermal insulation. However you can muffle airborne noise with fibreglass quilt. The denser batts are better for this than very lightweight loft rolls. It will also blot any draughts e.g. if there are gaps round the joists or the wall is gappy.

Noise is particularly a problem if there will be any bare floorboards.

Some people say not to bother, but it's so cheap and easy that I do mine when replacing vile old chipboard floors.

Thanks John. I'll board up the majority of the ceiling but purposely leave the job unfinished so I can slide in some insulation if I get a chance over the summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back