building a false ceiling / condensation problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live on the top (third floor) in a block of flats and am currently refurbishing my small bedroom.
I'm planning to install a false ceiling and yesterday had build a wooden framework made of CLS timber (65x45cm) with studs set at 60cm. I have also added the noggings and managed to connect the timber frame to the old ceiling.
All good and now just need to finish with the plasterboard before the plasterer comes to skim the walls and ceiling.
There is a problem though and since I bought this flat 4 years ago I have had a problem with condensation in this room.
It happens only during the winter and most likely it is caused by the poor loft insulation.

So this is the question;
could anyone please advise me on any insulation which can go between the plasterboard and the old ceiling ?
As the timber which I have used for the framework is 65cm, there is some 70cm gap between the old ceiling and the plasterboard.

Your advise would be much appreciated !

Sponsored Links
Hi Woody,

gap between the old ceiling and the new plasterboard is 70 centimetres.

Thank you.

Lay fibre glass quilt insulation over your new ceiling as you would in a loft, i.e. 100mm between ceiling joists and 200mm across them in the opposite direction.

Sponsored Links
Is it not easier to upgrade the insulation on your bit of the loft above your ceiling, rather then underneath it? Make sure that you put in a VCL or use foil backed plasterboard.
Frank

Hi Noseall & The Prince Of Darkness,

Thank you both for your advice I will buy some loft roll insulation and will put this between the ceiling joists (lay over the new ceiling).
Also, may I ask what is the VCL as am not familiar with this stuff and could you please look at this link and confirm this is the right plasterboard ?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Vapour-Panel-Square-Edge-2400x1200x12-5mm/p/220230
Many thanks for your help !!!

P.S. I don't have access to the loft therefore need to use some sort of insulation from the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back