Floodlights keep tripping MCB.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having an ongoing issue with two floodlights on the side of my building. They are the only two lights on the circuit as far as I'm aware and for about 6 months now I've been unable to use them because no sooner do they start warming up, they trip.

As advised by my electrical contractor, I opened them up straight after to see if there was a burning smell or to see if anything looked awry but it all looked fine and there was definitely no smell.

In the time around then my boss fell out with our electrical contractor and a few months passed until my boss kicked up a fuss about getting these lights up and running again, so I tried them again and of course they were still tripping so I called our new electrical contractor who promptly came out to have a look and as is always the case they worked perfectly while he was out. He checked them and tested them and there was no problem. They worked that night and we're still on the next morning when I came in to work, so I changed the times on the timer to make sure they came on at the right time, and no sooner did they switch on, they tripped again.

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend anything for me to get the electrician to look at just incase when he comes back out they decide to behave themselves again.

As for the type of lights I'm not entirely sure, but they're about double the size of a standard domestic security light, with what looks like a large halogen bulb inside and a small compartment in the bottom of the shell which holds what looks like a ballast and a large capacitor.

If anyone can suggest anything I would be extremely grateful.

Sponsored Links
What's the wattage on the bulb?
What's the type and rating of the trip that goes?

I knew you were going to ask that, but only once I'd already left. I'll have to get back to you on that one but they did work for well over a year without any issues and nothing's been changed with them.

Sponsored Links
I will guess 1500W each so around 13A even if a 1000W each then 8.7A
So with 6A MCB two 1000W may be will work for a time.
Also with 10A MCB two 1500W may be will work for a time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back