Floor and wall not lining up..advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just in the process of having a new bathroom fitted and yesterday the tiler was in doing his stuff. We are having the same tiles on 3 walls and the floor and they are 600 x 300 laid landscape on top of each other - not like bricks so we have straight lines.

There is only one place where the tiles on wall and floor meet and this is the wall with the basin and wc on it too.

Anyway I got home last night and the tiler has laid the floor tiles and not lined up the grouting from wall to floor.

I have just spoken to the contractor to ask why and he said that it would have meant cutting a slither of about 150mm to line them up and that it is better to have whole tiles and not line them up than to have a slither (150mm is hardly a slither in my opinion).

I am not 100% happy with this but the wife doesn't seem to mind.
The tiler is coming back tomorrow to grout the floor and I am thinkking of asking for them to be re-laid (its only approx 5x3ft of floor).

What is the opinion on here ? Am i being too fussy or should I stick to my guns?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you ask the tiler to match the wall & floor grout lines? If you didn’t you can hardly insist he relays the floor! Who will pay for the additional materials required the undoubtedly broken tiles that will ocur whe they are taken up & the additional time involved! Matching floor/wall grout lines wouldn’t normally be done unless you ask for it specifically but I think your tiler may have been wiser to ask as it may have been relatively easy in your case with just one wall (can’t say without seeing it) but it usually involves additional time/cost as the layout of the, walls & floor must be designed together taking into account the position of doors, windows & sanitary ware etc to ensure it looks right when you walk into the room. If more than 2 walls are involved, it can also be very difficult to get everything to match up & look good.

I obviously haven’t seen it but, personally, I think you’re worrying over nothing, I rarely do it or get asked to & it doesn’t really notice once you run a silicone bead around the room. IMO, matching wall/floor grout lines often has a weird illusional effect as well which can make the room look/feel odd.

An update...

the main contractor came round on Saturday to do some more work and took one look at the floor (without me saying anything) and told me it would have to be be redone. He said it was totally unacceptable and then phoned the tilers boss and gave him a real rollicking!
Reckons he did it like that to save time!

An update...

the main contractor came round on Saturday to do some more work and took one look at the floor (without me saying anything) and told me it would have to be be redone. He said it was totally unacceptable and then phoned the tilers boss and gave him a real rollicking!
Reckons he did it like that to save time!

i would have done the same as him unless asked mate

Sponsored Links
I'm not a tiler, but do refurbs. I'd match. It's not too much extra work and it's the right thing to do, if the tile sizes allow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back